Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I recently read Gail Damerow's guide to raising chickens ( which I definitely should have been reading before getting them, not after). She discusses how breeders chose to emphasize either esthetics, productivity, or longevity when developing a particular strain. I was quite surprised by her statement that the breeders who had constantly put longevity and hardiness as their first goal, were the one who raised game birds.
She also says this isn't so true nowadays as cockfighting is strictly forbidden (fortunately I would say but I'm not clear that's her point of view) so they are now bred for showing and esthetics.
The book I read about how chickens shaped society doesn't address that point directly, but indirectly supports that theory. Chickens were bred initially for fighting and for religious purposes (and in many cases those were sort of co-mingled purposes).
The key thing about cockfighting was in many cases to have a rooster that was a 'winner' and then kept for stud as it were. Prices of a winners offspring being very high. So in that case you would want at least the males to be long lived.

Wow! Brooders everywhere - how many chicks do you have this year?
This is at a big box store.
I let the hens raise the chicks and poults.... But there's a lot of losses due to predators, and getting separated and chilled. Last year I had 18 chickens and 23 turkey hens go broody. I sell or give the girls and the boys fill the freezer.

This is at a big box store.
I let the hens raise the chicks and poults.... But there's a lot of losses due to predators, and getting separated and chilled. Last year I had 18 chickens and 23 turkey hens go broody. I sell or give the girls and the boys fill the freezer.
this year when someone goes broody (it's Gigi's turn, should she be so inclined) I'm going to get silver Braekel eggs for her; I think they'd suit the conditions here admirably, and they're gorgeous, and there's a breeder about 10 miles away - perfect!
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Braek/BRKBraekel.html

Shad, you’ll be happy to hear, with the lengthening days, my birds are getting close to two hours if free ranging daily on weekdays (after work) and most of the entire day in weekends.
View attachment 3036791

I also wanted to share some cool, yet basic behavior I got to witness today. First just some background, Bridge is the only six-year-old and the alpha hen. She also reacts in different ways when I handle the other hens. Sometimes she seems jealous, sometimes indifferent and other times, protective?

Excuse me getting side tracked… back to what I witnessed today. So Bridge is the alpha, and Flo is a junior hen. Flo has always been VERY assertive. Usually, Bridge seems to tolerate Flo just fine.

Today, I saw Flo stand up tall and get in Bridge’s face. Bridge was having none of that, and I love how she put Flo in her place. There was no pecking. Bridge just stood up even taller than Flo, flashed her hackles, and gave Flo a firm look. Immediately, Flo dropped her head and shoulders below Bridge’s chest. It was not a squat, but it was definitely submission. I know it’s just part of how they communicate and keep order, but still fascinating to see.
Mine often do this. If the lower hen doesn’t show the submissive behavior, then the dominant hen will resort to pecking or rushing at them. Like a human mother giving her kids the raised eyebrow.
this year when someone goes broody (it's Gigi's turn, should she be so inclined) I'm going to get silver Braekel eggs for her; I think they'd suit the conditions here admirably, and they're gorgeous, and there's a breeder about 10 miles away - perfect!
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Braek/BRKBraekel.html
Oh, I love the chevrons on some of those roosters’ tail feathers!

Nice looking birds, good to help save a breed
I've tried to do that with all my birds; I'm not trying to preserve their genetics as a pure line (which I'm incapable of doing given my grasp of chicken genetics at present) but my custom does support those who can and are, and my flock as a whole is helping those genes best adapted for here survive, albeit latently.

Back
Top Bottom