Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yep. 🤣 And us Aussies are always astounded @ how little clothing the Brits like to wear ~ in their climate! Out here they're practically nudists! :gig
:gig some Brits. Others of us are still in cardies in mid summer, and then there's the whole gamut of eccentrics who express themselves chiefly through their choice of attire... e.g. this is supposedly 'cool' :th
1658042922879.png

Yes, very interesting, but very sad too.
In my country the huge industrial farmers , loan banks an food industry are doing/ trying to do similar things to stop the growth of small scale , circular and organic farmers. :mad: I refer to the unbelievable nasty meat , eggs and milk industry who has / had too much power. Sometimes they made it impossible for the alternative farmers to things in alternative way, because the law made rules that applied for them too but were ridiculous.

Example: . It was no longer allowed to put the slurry / shit* of the farm animals on top of the fields, but it had to be injected to prevent too much unhealthy smell and gasses in the environment.
Farmers who had no liquid smelling shit but the heathy poop without urine where not allowed to spread it over their fields anymore. If they did the farmer got impossibly huge fines. At first the factory farmers were not amused by this shit rule. But when the circular/organic farmers got a problem because of it , the industry held back a change in favour of circular/ organic farming.
* not sure if google translate can translate the word we use for this liquid shit with urine.

Chicken example. :
A pharmacist developed a vaccin against the HPAI that spreads over the whole north part of the world. But its not allowed to administer it to the poultry/ birds. Commercial farming doesn’t want it to be used because they can’t export the chickens anymore if they do.
The farming industry preferred the poultry massacres on the infected farms above a vaccination program.
Meanwhile they made it impossible for organic poultry farmers and hobbyist to obtain the vaccins in order to free range their poultry. All organic and outside free ranging chickens had/have to be kept inside for 8 months or more. The eggs were no longer organic/outside free range.

Yes, very interesting, but very sad too.
In my country the huge industrial farmers , loan banks an food industry are doing/ trying to do similar things to stop the growth of small scale , circular and organic farmers. :mad: I refer to the unbelievable nasty meat , eggs and milk industry who has / had too much power. Sometimes they made it impossible for the alternative farmers to things in alternative way, because the law made rules that applied for them too but were ridiculous.

Example: . It was no longer allowed to put the slurry / shit* of the farm animals on top of the fields, but it had to be injected to prevent too much unhealthy smell and gasses in the environment.
Farmers who had no liquid smelling shit but the heathy poop without urine where not allowed to spread it over their fields anymore. If they did the farmer got impossibly huge fines. At first the factory farmers were not amused by this shit rule. But when the circular/organic farmers got a problem because of it , the industry held back a change in favour of circular/ organic farming.
* not sure if google translate can translate the word we use for this liquid shit with urine.

Chicken example. :
A pharmacist developed a vaccin against the HPAI that spreads over the whole north part of the world. But its not allowed to administer it to the poultry/ birds. Commercial farming doesn’t want it to be used because they can’t export the chickens anymore if they do.
The farming industry preferred the poultry massacres on the infected farms above a vaccination program.
Meanwhile they made it impossible for organic poultry farmers and hobbyist to obtain the vaccins in order to free range their poultry. All organic and outside free ranging chickens had/have to be kept inside for 8 months or more. The eggs were no longer organic/outside free range.
It is this sort of regulation which fuelled Brexit. Large corps seem to have way too much influence over EU laws now.

Yep. 🤣 And us Aussies are always astounded @ how little clothing the Brits like to wear ~ in their climate! Out here they're practically nudists! :gig
Not just Aussies. I was too when I realised it was not just something we see in television programs. We (fsmily and friend) were flabbergasted seeing lots of English in Canterburry going out in just a little more than a bikini. They really go out and walk on the streets in summer clothings on cold and rainy nights.
I'm not a happy chappy. I have just got home. It was a bit past midnight when I finally got to my front door. I left the allotments at 21.45.
I got to the train station to catch the 22.15. I just got on the platform when the information display stated the 22.15 was cancelled. Not the end of the world because there was another train due at 22.38. 22.30ish arrives and the display states the train is delayed and wont arrive until 22.48.
The train arrives on time and I'm looking forward to getting home. We get less than a mile from where I get off and the train comes to a halt. After a minute or so the driver tells us through the tannoy system that we have stopped because there is a tresspaser/intruder walking along the track!:rolleyes: It's the sun honestly. The British see so little of it that when it does shine and the temperature gets into the high twneties andlow thirties, the British tear all there cloths off, get pissed and then fall asleep on a beach or garden somewhere.

Now I want tp know why they don't just run these people over. It's not like the train is going to notice.:p

To add to this is the latest allotments drama.
I've mentioned earlier that the allotment has had new intake. I've gone out of my way to talk to them. They seem a nice bunch. There are also two more established plot holders I talk to whenever we see each other. They have all become aware of C, erm, disposition, would be the tactfull way of putting it.

C has a lodger. C has complaines to me about her lodger constantly and apparently this has been normal with the others plotholders for some time.
A few weeks ago C said they had given the lodger notice to quit.
I got told by one of the plot holders that C had told them that C's lodger had been trying to poison C.:eek::lau
I must confess my first though was it's a shame he didn't make a better job of it.

I can't say I know the lodger well but they are one of the very few who are productive. He also did quite a lot of things for C such as feeding the geese if C was unable for some reason. He drinks too much, but he pays his rent and has two, or three allotment plots going plus, he's the only one who makes use of the greenhouse.

The allotment holders have a private Whatsapp group and the stories from every one I'm told about what goes on there beggar belief. Needless to write I have yet to be invited.:p
View attachment 3188961View attachment 3188962View attachment 3188963View attachment 3188964
Now I finally understand why you make such fascinating detective /crime television in England. 🫢

And just ask if you can join the WhatsApp group. Must be great to hear everything going on without delay. 🤣.

I have posted this video here before but I'll do it again as it gives you a fair idea of how I manage most of my hens. Luckily the majority are docile & don't object to being handled.
Excellent thank you. Will have to try this.
I agree. It makes a lot of sense for the chicken and keeper.
If I've picked the chicken up from the front and layed it in my palm rear end facing out, if I bring my arm accross my body, the chicken can see where it's going with one eye and even that helps keep them calm.
Makes complete sense that they would want to see where they are going.
It is this sort of regulation which fuelled Brexit. Large corps seem to have way too much influence over EU laws now.
Same here in U.S. I wish the libertarian party would get a bit more power, because the Dems & Reps are equally bad in regulation and use it to pit one side against the other and maintain power through division of the masses. 😡

Tax:
1658062504925.jpeg

:gig some Brits. Others of us are still in cardies in mid summer, and then there's the whole gamut of eccentrics who express themselves chiefly through their choice of attire... e.g. this is supposedly 'cool' :th
View attachment 3189224

I have yet to understand this type of clothing.

I don't understand the need to hold your pants by the waist when walking as all you have to do is use a belt and pull the pants up so the belt works.

I don't need to see their arses.

I have yet to understand this type of clothing.

I don't understand the need to hold your pants by the waist when walking as all you have to do is use a belt and pull the pants up so the belt works.

I don't need to see their arses.
As you know, I teach college students sailing (for 25 years) and have seen young peoples' weird fashions come and go. The most important part of the beginner class orientation was about what is and is not appropriate sailing attire.

That crotch-around-the-knees look went out of fashion on US campuses ages ago, but I did have students try to sail in it (big drowning risk if you fall overboard). Then it was skinny jeans, so tight they couldn't hardly sit down. Now they all wear no shoes but flip flops, which I absolutely don't allow on the boats, as the only regular accidents in my class are broken little toes when the student wear improper shoes.

I have a lot of stories; from young girls sailing in mini skirts (the young men were very appreciative when they "hiked out"), to someone losing their baggy sweat pants while being hoisted back into the boat. Fortunately for my classes, athletic wear has become the everyday wear in So Cal.

Back
Top Bottom