Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Better a hen do the mum bit. The hens seem to know a lot of stuff we don't.
Absolutely agree. I still wonder how this little made it into my yard. All the moms- about 4, all have older chicks. Must have been one of the neighborhood kids ♡ they like to bring me the chicks they find but usually call to me first. 🤔 could also have been a neighbor cat I guess. But no sign of the chicks mom.

Poor new mom. Mealworms will now be expected.
20220717_105230.jpg

37C (about 100F) in parts of Bristol.
35C (95F) highest temperature at the allotments where the chickens are.
Probably with the breeze it felt like 33C.
Should only get up to 33C (90F) tomorrow and it peaks mid day apparently. That's better than today where the tempearture was still rising at 6pm.
Probably a dumb question, but as chickens don’t sweat (I think I got that right), do they benefit from the cooling effect of a breeze that we feel?

:sigh: I am so disappointed. I went to our local "poultry show" this weekend.

I have been so looking forward to making contacts with So Cal chicken breeders so I can acquire a few bantam pullets. The new coop is coming along between all my other projects. I was looking for pretty much the same thing Ribh looked for when she found her breeder: raised in a clean and healthy environment and for eye candy instead of egg production. :D

More than ten years ago, I went to the county fair's poultry show and found the breeder I got my bantam cochins from. There had been a whole exhibition building full of beautiful chickens and knowledgable chicken people to talk to. Ten years later... I dunno what happened. This year really only a few dozen 4H kids doing showmanship with some silkies that looked like druggies they were so passive (or were so stressed they were catatonic... although knowing silkies, that may be their normal behavior ;)). There wasn't much of a chicken show at all. I think my county has become so urban and suburban that this part of the county fair is dying out. :(

I guess I'll have to travel north to a more rural show to find breeders, since I really don't want to resort to Craig's List or mailed hatchery chicks, and the only local "feed store" is appalling.

Sorry for the rant, but I figured you all would commiserate. My family thinks I'm nuts even to go to this kind of trouble finding a puppy, let alone pullets.

C was at the allotments when I got there. I met them coming out of the main gate. C told me they had done the water for the geese and chickens and were off home.
When I get to the run gate, this is what I see.
View attachment 3191448View attachment 3191449
C had missed one again. If I hadn't shown up, that's a dead chicken.:he
Maybe C can't count past ten.:rolleyes:

As you may have read, it's been a bit on the warm side in parts of Britain.
This was the only hen that I saw struggling. She did come out and join the rest after 15 minutes or so. I must admit I had been having visions of arriving to find two or three dead.
View attachment 3191455
Everybody out.
View attachment 3191464
A hot hen.
View attachment 3191466
A hen that doesn't want me to Vaseline her legs.
View attachment 3191468
It's gone a bit dry for the UK.
View attachment 3191469
Those chooks are so lucky to have you there to count them.

They cancelled all the trains from 9pm or earlier it seems just when it was getting cooler! They say the tracks warp in the heat. What they make them out of? Plastic!?
Renfe in Catalonia managed to run trains on time in 40C+ temperatures.Better plastic I suspect.:p:lol:
The bus didn't show up. The tarmac was probably too sticky.:rolleyes:
I can't help thinking that somewhere in the contracts awarded to these companies there is something about providing a public service while you make a profit if you can.

My eldest drove me home in the end.
I mean come on, It's not that hot and it's only going to last a couple of days. I suppose where it's between 35C and 45C for months the plastic tracks have warped themselves back into shape.:lol:
What a PITA! Glad you could still laugh about it. Since the covid shutdowns it seems to have become acceptable to simply shut up shop with no warning (or consequence). We seem to have swung to the opposite of 'keep calm and carry on'.

I have been so looking forward to making contacts with So Cal chicken breeders so I can acquire a few bantam pullets. The new coop is coming along between all my other projects. I was looking for pretty much the same thing Ribh looked for when she found her breeder: raised in a clean and healthy environment and for eye candy instead of egg production. :D

More than ten years ago, I went to the county fair's poultry show and found the breeder I got my bantam cochins from. There had been a whole exhibition building full of beautiful chickens and knowledgable chicken people to talk to. Ten years later... I dunno what happened. This year really only a few dozen 4H kids doing showmanship with some silkies that looked like druggies they were so passive (or were so stressed they were catatonic... although knowing silkies, that may be their normal behavior ;)). There wasn't much of a chicken show at all. I think my county has become so urban and suburban that this part of the county fair is dying out. :(

I guess I'll have to travel north to a more rural show to find breeders, since I really don't want to resort to Craig's List or mailed hatchery chicks, and the only local "feed store" is appalling.

Sorry for the rant, but I figured you all would commiserate. My family thinks I'm nuts even to go to this kind of trouble finding a puppy, let alone pullets.
I can definitely commiserate! A few years ago I noticed our county fair had no dairy cattle. None! A big team of exhibition Percheron horses was occupying the dairy barn. They were glorious but they were out of town performers so not an ag activity in this county.

They cancelled all the trains from 9pm or earlier it seems just when it was getting cooler! They say the tracks warp in the heat. What they make them out of? Plastic!?
Renfe in Catalonia managed to run trains on time in 40C+ temperatures.Better plastic I suspect.:p:lol:
The bus didn't show up. The tarmac was probably too sticky.:rolleyes:
I can't help thinking that somewhere in the contracts awarded to these companies there is something about providing a public service while you make a profit if you can.

My eldest drove me home in the end.
I mean come on, It's not that hot and it's only going to last a couple of days. I suppose where it's between 35C and 45C for months the plastic tracks have warped themselves back into shape.:lol:
Thank heavens they had a car to do it with too.

I know ~ but I'm an arts major so I think chickens like nice things too & that's what I've always strived for. Now I try more for pretty & what I've learnt chickens like. It seems to be a good combination. I enjoy looking @ the chicken's environment & they enjoy being in it. 😂
Both chicken and people like trees and plants. That neighbor of yours cementing everywhere maybe bought some house plants for inside his home! Some people however prefer "pretty" plants whereas I suppose chickens prefer shrubs and vines. My hen Vanille loves our cherry tree 😁. We're going to plant a mulberry tree in the chicken space, my partner says there used to be a huge old one that died when he was a child.
He's beautiful! Cross breeds make for striking looks and color!
Today is the first time I've seen our Temps get to 91° (51% humidity) . Monitor says 89 in run and higher in other parts of our yard.
We are close to the ocean and 9' above sea level and have a well w/ brackish water on a solar pump. It is on now. I also gave the chooks cold mangoes in the middle of puddles so they can cool their jets.

As I was turning on well water hosebibs baby chick responded to a feral mommas clucks. I hopped the fence to my son's back Mango forest and found a young momma with a new hatch so i set goober down. She ran to the other chicks and then they all ran to mom. I hung out for about 20 minutes and no rejection. I checked back and all was perfect. I saw her little face peaking at me from under momma hen. So, it appears I am off the hook and the little will have a more natural life. Gunna miss the little cuspid. Hope I see her around and hope we remain friends.
This made my morning happy ! I was wondering how long she could be kept apart and still be recognized by mama hen.

Maybe you could ask on BYC if people from so cal know of good breeders ? Not sure if you would get good advice, but it might be better than craigslist.

Last edited:
Congratulations @GregnLety. You must have done pretty well ! And since you said elsewhere that very few pass the interview I really hope you get the position . And you better buy an extra dozen chook than a new SUV 😇.
Many years ago I had the chance to work on one of the North Sea oil rigs. The reason I didn't take the job was it would have meant living on the rig.
Maybe I should have done. The pay was likely to end up four times what I was being paid at current job at the time.
Life on a rig isn't for everyone. I've a cousin whose first job as a young engineer was on a rig in Norway, and it turned out to be also his last. It didn't go well with him, he came back far out, went to live in auroville for several years, never worked again and spent his life involved in various conspiracy movements. He did make a huge amount of money out of it but not sure it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom