Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The weather people were right. They did come out briefly but the hoop was were they chose to stay. I can't blame them. I stayed under it most of the time as well.

The Cream Legbar is now top hen. She's the smallest but she's the eldest and being the eldest is what I have found gives a hen the top spot often enough for their to be some substance to the idea that age rather than size determines a hens position in the group. I can believe that in new groups a heavyweight intent on being top hen has an advantage.

Sorry about the smudge; can't keep anything dry and clean in this weather.
View attachment 3366111
Fret.View attachment 3366107
I'm going to have to give this one a name. She's the biggest hen and a bit of an outsider in this group. She should have gone with her friends.
View attachment 3366106
Lima. She shuffles along the roost bar when I sit on it getting right up next to me and has an explore of my jacket pocket.
View attachment 3366105
View attachment 3366102
I had to pick Henry up this afternoon. He had a small stick wedged between his toes and part under his feet. He had tried to pick it off but the mud held it fast.
He was very good about it and good about me stroking his neck once he had perched.
View attachment 3366103
Yay for Henry letting you handle him. I know I’m a softie, but the poor red hen whose friends have left gave me a little cry. I so wish C had allowed you to have some say in their fate, since you know them best.

Large Aerial Predator

There has been a large, elusive hawk around here a few times lately. Today I finally got to see it out in the open, as it was fighting with the resident red shouldered hawk and a pair of ravens was trying to drive them both off. They were successful, and it was quite a sight!

I just don’t know what the other hawk was. It was larger than the red shouldered hawk, but did not appear to be a red tailed hawk, which is the largest species of hawk around here. Perhaps it was a light morph and that’s why I couldn’t see a red tail. I described it online to the local community and somebody suggested it could be a goshawk. However, I don’t think we have those here. I’m sure curious to know if that’sca possibility, and I remember, Shad, that they were the biggest threat to the chickens where you used to live. The chickens here have been very common, and they’re very nervous lately pair. Sometimes they will not come out of the run when I open the gate, and sometimes even decline to come out of the coop itself. I assumed they were afraid of the red shouldered hawk that lives here, but now I’m wondering if it’s more about this even larger raptor. Sorry, no photo of the hawks, but here, are my feathered friends. For some reason they are very interested in their old bunny run. I think they feel safe and protected and there is a change of scenery from their own run. I personally think the rest of the yard is a lot more interesting.

92BF1C58-D02B-45E8-BD98-8009170E7D28.jpeg

Last edited:
The weather people were right. They did come out briefly but the hoop was were they chose to stay. I can't blame them. I stayed under it most of the time as well.

The Cream Legbar is now top hen. She's the smallest but she's the eldest and being the eldest is what I have found gives a hen the top spot often enough for their to be some substance to the idea that age rather than size determines a hens position in the group. I can believe that in new groups a heavyweight intent on being top hen has an advantage.

Sorry about the smudge; can't keep anything dry and clean in this weather.
View attachment 3366111
Fret.View attachment 3366107
I'm going to have to give this one a name. She's the biggest hen and a bit of an outsider in this group. She should have gone with her friends.
View attachment 3366106
Lima. She shuffles along the roost bar when I sit on it getting right up next to me and has an explore of my jacket pocket.
View attachment 3366105
View attachment 3366102
I had to pick Henry up this afternoon. He had a small stick wedged between his toes and part under his feet. He had tried to pick it off but the mud held it fast.
He was very good about it and good about me stroking his neck once he had perched.
View attachment 3366103
Henry knows you care about him, he sounds like a wise old boy to me

Back
Top Bottom