Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hi folks,

A frizzy Asiatic-looking all black pullet (8 mos) just joined my jungle tribe and I'm a bit curious as to what breed(s) she might be.

IMG_20230423_184702.jpg

^This is Dusty. Her plumage is completely black with a green/blue beetle sheen. Her feet are blue-black as well.

(I posted over in the "What Breed or Gender" forum, but given the circumstances of my flock and the many people I see on this thread with an interest in keeping chickens as chickens (as creatures of nature), I thought some folks here might have interesting input.

A little background on my chooks: We live in a very rural area of Ecuador, South America. Most people here (including us) farm sugar cane, bananas, cocoa beans and other "tropical crops." The climate is subtropical rainforest and the landscape a mix of humid jungle and farmed land. Practically everyone here keeps chickens, and while the gamecock keepers are particular about the breeding stock, no one else is, so all of the farmyard chickens running around the little villages are mixes of various domesticated breeds and interesting landrace varieties. The people call the mixtures "criollas" -- same thing people of mixed indigenous and Spanish descent are called.

The locals here call Dusty a "Chirapa" -- an indigenous Kichwa word for "tatters" or a "Rizada" -- meaning "frizzy" in Spanish.

IMG_20230423_162047.jpg

At home in the jungle.

For example, here's another one of Dusty with her pal Rusty. Rusty looks a lot like a Rhode Island Red, but she's very petite. Her eggs are cream colored with a bluish tint. Her feet are bluish as well.
IMG_20230421_130009.jpg

I looked up all the breeds of black chickens and Dusty looks most like a Cochin, but she's also very petite, so maybe a bantam Cochin? They are eating very well in our farm, fed rations 2x a day and free roam all day for forage, so I suspect they will fill out.

So I'm asking just out of curiosity -- I'm pretty certain Dusty isn't a "pure" anything, but does anyone want to guess her possible origins?

IMG_20230423_184107.jpg

Anyway, I think she's the most adorable ugly little hen ever.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

A frizzy Asiatic-looking all black pullet (8 mos) just joined my jungle tribe and I'm a bit curious as to what breed(s) she might be.

View attachment 3479832
^This is Dusty. Her plumage is completely black with a green/blue beetle sheen. Her feet are blue-black as well.

(I posted over in the "What Breed or Gender" forum, but given the circumstances of my flock and the many people I see on this thread with an interest in keeping chickens as chickens (as creatures of nature), I thought some folks here might have interesting input.

A little background on my chooks: We live in a very rural area of Ecuador, South America. Most people here (including us) farm sugar cane, bananas, cocoa beans and other "tropical crops." The climate is subtropical rainforest and the landscape a mix of humid jungle and farmed land. Practically everyone here keeps chickens, and while the gamecock keepers are particular about the breeding stock, no one else is, so all of the farmyard chickens running around the little villages are mixes of various domesticated breeds and interesting landrace varieties. The people call the mixtures "criollas" -- same thing people of mixed indigenous and Spanish descent are called.

The locals here call Dusty a "Chirapa" -- an indigenous Kichwa word for "tatters" or a "Rizada" -- meaning "frizzy" in Spanish.

View attachment 3479835
At home in the jungle.

For example, here's another one of Dusty with her pal Rusty. Rusty looks a lot like a Rhode Island Red, but she's very petite. Her eggs are cream colored with a bluish tint. Her feet are bluish as well.
View attachment 3479836

I looked up all the breeds of black chickens and Dusty looks most like a Cochin, but she's also very petite. They are eating very well in our farm, fed rations 2x a day and free roam all day for forage, so I suspect they will fill out.

So I'm asking just out of curiosity -- I'm pretty certain Dusty isn't a "pure" anything, but does anyone want to guess her possible origins?

View attachment 3479837
Anyway, I think she's the most adorable ugly little hen ever.
She is gorgeous. I love black hens. If I were to only keep one color, black would be the one.
I have a bantam, red frizzle cochin. He is terribly cute, if not very practical, rooster.
Whatever she had in her, she is adorable!

She is gorgeous. I love black hens. If I were to only keep one color, black would be the one.
I have a bantam, red frizzle cochin. He is terribly cute, if not very practical, rooster.
I think so too. My partner calls her "your pet vulture." :cool:

I just read this article and it made some points I didn't know about the "frizzle" gene. If a frizzle breeds with another frizzle, it creates a "frazzle" -- not a good idea because the poor bird will have very fragile feathers and be prone to internal problems as well. The neighbor I adopted Dusty from had no other frizzle roosters around, so I'm glad she's not a frazzle.

https://www.chickensandmore.com/frizzle-chicken/

Back
Top Bottom