Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They look pretty well feathered. They most likely do not need the heat lamp. At the very least, you should move it up quite a bit.
You're going to have a beautiful flock.
My basement/floor is pretty cool. I’ve tried moving the lamp higher but then they shiver. I keep a close eye on whether or not they are acting hot or cold. You can’t see it in the picture, but the lamp is suspended from the ceiling and is hanging a good 6 inches above the brooder at the moment.

Wow. That's really something. I have to say, while I'm philosophically on the side of letting nature (a broody hen) do this job, right now I have two broodies sitting on eggs and it's kind of a mess sometimes. The pullets coming in to lay want to get right up in their broody nests to put their eggs too, even though I make them their own nice places to lay, and the broodies kick them out and its a squawking drama. Dealing with animals who want to do things their own way is a tremendous learning experience, but not exactly convenient.

There are some big agricultural supply stores in Ecuador of course that sell agrochemicals and fertilizers, etc. Monsanto Bayer relentlessly sends their minions into the Global South. Some of these stores sell chicks from brooders, but they are for meat and intended to be slaughtered at 4 months. Everyone knows they wouldn't live long enough to lay eggs. But for "ponedoras" -- laying hens -- the rural folks keep broody hens for setting and mothering because they believe the natural process creates more resilient chickens. And it's just easier and cheaper when you have a broody than buying all the equipment. Most folks here eat their hens after two laying seasons. I'm the "gringa loca" with the ancient chickens (even though my oldest are only four).
How are the broodies doing now? Any improvement? I had these kind of problems 2 years ago too. Eventually I separated the broodies from the rest of the flock. From 10 hatching eggs I got only 3 chicks.
This year there is way less fuss but did find new eggs in the hatching department. A third chicken became broody and joined. But they stay calm and up til now the brooding is very committed and going nicely.

Interested in the sit-along of this year? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...odies-and-11-hatching-eggs-🪺-🪺.1574045/page-2

I haven't been happy with the coop pop door arrangement. The chicken guard works well enough but the plastic door that came with the coop and it's runner arrangement mean that while the door opens without problem, sometimes when it closes it doesn't go all the way down and leaves a small gap at the bottom.
I've tried making it a bit heavier which helps but in the end I thought I would try one of these. It arrived today.

https://www.strangfordincubators.com/product/chicken-guard-self-locking-door-kit/
Hope this combo will function better.

I used an old plastic IKEA cutting board as a pop door. I didn’t want to use it anymore because I was cutting plastic particles into my food. Made a simple wooden frame around bought at the lumber/diy store. They work great as a sliding door.

How are the broodies doing now? Any improvement? I had these kind of problems 2 years ago too. Eventually I separated the broodies from the rest of the flock. From 10 hatching eggs I got only 3 chicks.
This year there is way less fuss but did find new eggs in the hatching department. A third chicken became broody and joined. But they stay calm and up til now the brooding is very committed and going nicely.

Interested in the sit-along of this year? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/natural-breeding-project-no5-janice-pearl-broodies-and-11-hatching-eggs-🪺-🪺.1574045/page-2
Ah, the broodies are fine. The problem is more the pullets who want to put their eggs in the broodies' nests -- even though they have their own nesting spots. I don't blame the broodies for kicking them out, they are protecting their eggs and they were there first.

Everybody except the broodies is out all day foraging or relaxing away from the coop area. So the only drama is when the pullets go to lay.

I'm going to do some work in the chicken area making a corral for the expected little ones. I think, as you say, once the moms and kids have their own space, it will sort itself out.

Thanks for the link!

My Rhode Island Reds are very aggressive and I will not get any more.
I have been reading about the founding of the bantam breed. They mixed a lot of other genes into the big reds. And this is done this by other breeders is England. Who had an eye on egg production and may have looked for good characters too.
Anyway the bantam reds in the Netherlands are known for winter laying and their friendly character.

To all of you my chickens will dig up a fire ant hill in a hurry.

They have 2 hills they are exploring now.

I dust the hills with Cinnamon and they move to another area.
Good to know. Now I use DE to eliminate the (normal) ants from beneath my terraces but I don’t like killing ant nests. Moving them to the garden is way better.

Hope this combo will function better.

I used an old plastic IKEA cutting board as a pop door. I didn’t want to use it anymore because I was cutting plastic particles into my food. Made a simple wooden frame around bought at the lumber/diy store. They work great as a sliding door.
I know just the boards. Good idea. They're a bit stiffer than the recycled plastic door that came with the coop.

I have been reading about the founding of the bantam breed. They mixed a lot of other genes into the big reds. And this is done this by other breeders is England. Who had an eye on egg production and may have looked for good characters too.
Anyway the bantam reds in the Netherlands are known for winter laying and their friendly character.
The evolution of the full bantam is indeed an interesting story.

Back
Top Bottom