Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They are big nests, perfect for brahma sized chickens. I use them in the bantam coops too, and they're great for a mama hen, and family.
The little roost bar is useless but it is removable.
I love the nests themselves. I have 7 of them, and most of the birds (& cats) prefer them too. View attachment 3492393View attachment 3492385
They look interesting. I've seen similar here in the UK. If the front lip was a bit higher and the fixing method a bit more robust I would be tempted to try placing turf cuts in it rather than bedding.

Rain on and off all day. Warm enough for the rain not to be much of a bother though.
We got out for an hour or so.
P5040974.JPG
P5040975.JPG
P5040979.JPG
P5040976.JPG
P5040980.JPG

Sorry for your losses. :hugs

The broodies hatched 2 chicks today ❤️❤️🐣🐣.
View attachment 3492883

I hate black cats, my black neighbour cat murders sparrow chicks in the chicken run. And I need to take caution for the chicken hatchlings too with such a beast trespassing all the time.

If he trespasses again, he would be a dead cat.

If he trespasses again, he would be a dead cat.
1. It's a she.
2. Cats in the Netherlands trespass all the time. There are no rules or regulations to keep them inside.
3. If I kill the cat, my neighbours would get very upset and become very angry with me. They love her and take good care of her health.

1. It's a she.
2. Cats in the Netherlands trespass all the time. There are no rules or regulations to keep them inside.
3. If I kill the cat, my neighbours would get very upset and become very angry with me. They love her and take good care of her health.

They need to keep her at home.

They look interesting. I've seen similar here in the UK. If the front lip was a bit higher and the fixing method a bit more robust I would be tempted to try placing turf cuts in it rather than bedding.
The lip is deeper than it looks, as the floor curves in and down slightly. That's one of the things I like best about it. I can put a lot of straw in it without it all ending up on the floor. The bantam hens make a nice little hole in theirs.

Sorry for your losses. :hugs

The broodies hatched 2 chicks today ❤️❤️🐣🐣.
View attachment 3492883

I hate black cats, my black neighbour cat murders sparrow chicks in the chicken run. And I need to take caution for the chicken hatchlings too with such a beast trespassing all the time.
Congratulations!
I have two black cats, neither bother my chicks, though they will murder the wild birds.

Congratulations!
I have two black cats, neither bother my chicks, though they will murder the wild birds.
My cats used to eye my bantam and runt chick drooling with greed. The male cat had a go at them once or twice and the broody stopped him, but I didn't dare leave them on their own when the cats were out in the morning until the chicks were a few weeks old.

I would not trust that things would necessarily work out.

Depending on the cat's size, you could maybe make an entrance small enough for your adults free ranging bantams to get in and out, but not for the cat.

Back
Top Bottom