Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My cats used to eye my bantam and runt chick drooling with greed. The male cat had a go at them once or twice and the broody stopped him, but I didn't dare leave them on their own when the cats were out in the morning until the chicks were a few weeks old.

I would not trust that things would necessarily work out.

Depending on the cat's size, you could maybe make an entrance small enough for your adults free ranging bantams to get in and out, but not for the cat.
I've had standard baby chicks running around the yard for several years. My broodies have kept the cats in check. I do however, keep the bantams in runs.
The cats here must not be as aggressive. Although the sure go after the rabbits and squirrels.

My cats used to eye my bantam and runt chick drooling with greed. The male cat had a go at them once or twice and the broody stopped him, but I didn't dare leave them on their own when the cats were out in the morning until the chicks were a few weeks old.

I would not trust that things would necessarily work out.

Depending on the cat's size, you could maybe make an entrance small enough for your adults free ranging bantams to get in and out, but not for the cat.
I’m afraid my chickens are too small /not aggressive enough for the predator cat if she sees those cute little chicks.

IMG_1454.jpeg

6 chicks this afternoon.

Now at a WOIi liberation festival in Wageningen.
IMG_1459.jpeg

1. It's a she.
2. Cats in the Netherlands trespass all the time. There are no rules or regulations to keep them inside.
3. If I kill the cat, my neighbours would get very upset and become very angry with me. They love her and take good care of her health.
While not a cat lover I wouldn't blame the cat for being true to it's nature. Only one outside predator has killed any of our poultry and by the nature of the kill I believe it was a opossum. My dogs have killed a few of our chickens but we've been able to break them from it. Even if the cat was yours I don't believe that you could break them or train them to leave the chickens alone. So I understand your situation and know that you will do your best to safeguard your chickens.

While not a cat lover I wouldn't blame the cat for being true to it's nature. Only one outside predator has killed any of our poultry and by the nature of the kill I believe it was a opossum. My dogs have killed a few of our chickens but we've been able to break them from it. Even if the cat was yours I don't believe that you could break them or train them to leave the chickens alone. So I understand your situation and know that you will do your best to safeguard your chickens.
I dont really blame the cat (s). You are right this is natural behaviour. But there are too many cats where I live and they (all together) kill too many birds.
I would like it if people keep the cats inside the house, at least during the night.

I don’t have a cat. And I don’t want one either.

Back
Top Bottom