Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I also believe that before Shadrach began taking care of the allotment chickens, the coop was in such a state and what's more overpopulation was such a problem that broodiness was just too risky. I don't think it's comparable to your situation, @BDutch. The allotment chickens didn't have enough to eat and crammed on the floor to roost. A hen couldn't have stocked up on food before sitting and she would have had no way to feed her chicks correctly.

Letting Fret sit again is an interesting choice. Is it ok health wise for a hen to sit twice with so short a break, or are you taking this option only because of the specific situation of Henry and his hens ?

Long term for a chicken isn't the same number of years as long term for a man. I certainly hope you get to see the next generation of allotment chickens and while I wish Henry a long life, I also hope you'll get to see his successor.

Any update on your move ?
You are quite right.
When Shad started to look after the chickens the situation was so sad. I’m still happy he took/takes the time to look after the chickens despite the stupid neglect and decisions of 😫 🤦‍♀️ mrs. C.
My bantams do have a very good life compared to the allotment crowd Shad started with.

Thanks, I'm paranoid about bumblefoot given that I've had birds who suffered from it, but they all came that way to our farm. It was the keeping circumstances they were in before. None of the chickens who hatched here or that I acquired from a different neighbor have gotten it. I did just check all of the ecoplastic beams the chickens are roosting on and the edges are nicely rounded off and smooth.
Good thing that the roost aren’t sharp!
Sorry I let you worry for nothing.

Still morning here, so good morning all.
I got bit twice clearing away a leaf so i could get this photo of Shad's girlfriend.
Brave little thing ♡
20230728_091355.jpg
as usual, chickens providing endless observation and entertainment 😄

This guy caught 2 big fat rats in the last 3 days. I could not be happier with my forest kitty find and capture from a few years ago.
20230726_103344.jpg

And some garden squishing squirts waiting for mealworms.
20230728_094152.jpg

Yesterday was lots of chicken chores, so today we play.

I would prefer Fret to have taken a longer break but she's up for it and as I've mentioned, she looks better than I've ever seen her.
The circumstances are about as good as they can be currently to hatch chicks.

If it all goes wrong I have a recent option of a couple of Light Sussex pullets which I know are healthy.

I've contacted 14 breeders/people I know who have kept chickens. Out of those 14, 9 have stopped breeding, or keeping anything except Red Sex Links, or other production breeds, Lohmans, Stars, Red rocks, Comets, Rhode Island Reds (wtf are American oversized production birds doing here!). Some have stopped keeping chickens altogether.
Bird flu, Covid and people just wanting eggs rather than wanting to keep chickens has wiped out many of the small scale hobby keepers.

There are still the breed club breeders but their stock is limited and often not what I think I can slip into the current circumstances.

As an example. I contacted three or four breeders who keep Light Sussex and British Marans. I ask how many eggs a year they lay and how they were hatched. All stated their hens lay over 250 eggs a year.:eek:They've turned a breed that did lay say 180 eggs a year into a production bird, because most people want eggs and don't care about the breed bar the looks. I spoke to one breeder who proudly stated her Light Sussex hens laid around 300 eggs a year.:(

I did find some other heritage breeds that seem to have been bred properly but the waitng time can be months and of course they are broody hatched free rangers and I wont keep such birds in the conditions I have at the allotments.
Out of curiosity, is there many options available to you for sussex varieties other then Light?

Thanks, I'm paranoid about bumblefoot given that I've had birds who suffered from it, but they all came that way to our farm. It was the keeping circumstances they were in before. None of the chickens who hatched here or that I acquired from a different neighbor have gotten it. I did just check all of the ecoplastic beams the chickens are roosting on and the edges are nicely rounded off and smooth.
I upholstered our roosts..lol I bought a roll of rubber mat material used to line big tool chests, wrapped it around and stapled it. It is pretty cushy.

I upholstered our roosts..lol I bought a roll of rubber mat material used to line big tool chests, wrapped it around and stapled it. It is pretty cushy.
Speaking of rubber mats. My chickens love sunbathing on it.
IMG_3192.jpeg

Please be careful adding an extra layer on the roosts. Were I live we have red mites that love such layers to crawl in between to hide during daylight and to lay their eggs. First time I had a mite infestation I found a small colony under the bark of a branche I used as roost.

Do you do anything to stop mites getting under the mat?
The mat material is solid (no vent holes.). We bought a spray, (I can't think of the name at the moment,) that you can use to spray the coop, roosts or the chickens, directly, I sprayed the roosts down and let it soak in before I covered them, I respray around the edges every other day. I am a big fan of prevention so, I do a deep clean twice per week, a tidy up spot clean twice a day, which includes raking the run, and check the chickens every night, for any signs of parasites, *touchwood, we have not encountered anything, but I am so afraid of anything happening to them, that I am hyper vigilant. My house has gone to hell, between working full time and taking care of the chickens, but it is important that they stay healthy. I am so glad that I work from home!

Back
Top Bottom