Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

El Nino for New Zealand usually means hot and dry, probably some droughts. Some places are wetter but those are the wet places! La Nina means hot and wet with high humidity. I think I like hot and wet better even though it's pretty brutal, because it's better than drought!
I prefer La Nina too. El Nino heatwaves can get a bit much in Adelaide.

I am so happy your Son is alive and well.
Thank you @pennyJo1960
i am brain dead and sick with relief... and worry for all of the others 💔
I fly to visit him for the day. I hope he wants to come home with me but I can't force. He has to work his process and I have to stand by.
Sorry I have not kept of with this fun and informational thread. Just a little bit sideways for a little longer is how I think I'm gunna roll....
Be well all, 🌺Happy Aloha Saturday!!! 🌴 :frow Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and support. It means everytging ♡♡

El Nino for New Zealand usually means hot and dry, probably some droughts. Some places are wetter but those are the wet places! La Nina means hot and wet with high humidity. I think I like hot and wet better even though it's pretty brutal, because it's better than drought!
It's the 4th straight summer of drought here in Texas and I agree with you.

That's hard, 4 years of drought! We don't get that in the region I live in, although some places in the country do. It's always very wet in winter here, some years more than others. It's the summers that can drag on with no rain. It's usually ok, but about 1 year in 10 (I'm sure that frequently will increase) our bore runs dry due to the aquifer dropping lower than we can reach for the water. Those are not fun years.

12/08.
Two hours today. Warmish and a bit grey.
Fret started to sit on 27/07. She laid another egg on 28/07. The hatching eggs I provided went under her on 29/07. If I take the earliest date (27/07) she is now on day 17 (Sun 13/08). It is usual for a hen to stop turning her eggs on day 18.
Do hens still turn the eggs that have been added at a later date while leaving the early eggs unturned? I've got no idea. It s a shame I can't monitor this.
This whole business is such a mess compared to the ease of having broody hens I've had in the past.:he

Anyway, due to the less than ideal circumstances I'm going to try and fit a broody and chick run inside the coop. I can attatch it to the front of the nest box and it will provide at least some space out of the nest site.
I've got one of these on the way.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PawHut-Playpen-Animal-Chinchilla-Hedgehog/dp/B09VBFXZN8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It just needs to be strong enough to contain Fret and chicks, if she hatches any, for a few days while they grow enough to cope with the coop ramp and keep the food (No Perris, It won't be medicated:p Hence the tray of earth) from Carbon, Henry and any rodents that might try to go in the coop.

In the past, I've been able to let the hen get on with the job. The maternity units I had and the coops the rangers lived in allowed for access to natural ground, but more importantly, access to fertile natuarl ground where foraging would provide food for hen and chicks. One could forage all day in the run and and get nothing!
In the past, hens with their chicks would find plenty of cover out on the land and have the space to avoid the other chickens if necessary. I don't have that here. Much as I hate to admit it, I'm badly prepared for the current situation.

I have explained to Fret that I've bent over backwards to facilitate her bloody hormones and she better make sure it's been worth it!

Carbon has been making I've found food chick calls. I have no real idea what that's about. Does Carbon know about broodies and chicks (?) The only creature there, including myself, who is behaving in a rational manner is Henry.:p

Meanwhile back in the jungle, or at least out and about on natural ground which is where a chicken should be...
P8121886.JPG

P8121891.JPG
P8121888.JPG
P8121887.JPG
P8121889.JPG
P8121890.JPG
P8121892.JPG

12/08.
Two hours today. Warmish and a bit grey.
Fret started to sit on 27/07. She laid another egg on 28/07. The hatching eggs I provided went under her on 29/07. If I take the earliest date (27/07) she is now on day 17 (Sun 13/08). It is usual for a hen to stop turning her eggs on day 18.
Do hens still turn the eggs that have been added at a later date while leaving the early eggs unturned? I've got no idea. It s a shame I can't monitor this.
This whole business is such a mess compared to the ease of having broody hens I've had in the past.:he

Anyway, due to the less than ideal circumstances I'm going to try and fit a broody and chick run inside the coop. I can attatch it to the front of the nest box and it will provide at least some space out of the nest site.
I've got one of these on the way.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PawHut-Playpen-Animal-Chinchilla-Hedgehog/dp/B09VBFXZN8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It just needs to be strong enough to contain Fret and chicks, if she hatches any, for a few days while they grow enough to cope with the coop ramp and keep the food (No Perris, It won't be medicated:p Hence the tray of earth) from Carbon, Henry and any rodents that might try to go in the coop.

In the past, I've been able to let the hen get on with the job. The maternity units I had and the coops the rangers lived in allowed for access to natural ground, but more importantly, access to fertile natuarl ground where foraging would provide food for hen and chicks. One could forage all day in the run and and get nothing!
In the past, hens with their chicks would find plenty of cover out on the land and have the space to avoid the other chickens if necessary. I don't have that here. Much as I hate to admit it, I'm badly prepared for the current situation.

I have explained to Fret that I've bent over backwards to facilitate her bloody hormones and she better make sure it's been worth it!

Carbon has been making I've found food chick calls. I have no real idea what that's about. Does Carbon know about broodies and chicks (?) The only creature there, including myself, who is behaving in a rational manner is Henry.:p

Meanwhile back in the jungle, or at least out and about on natural ground which is where a chicken should be...
View attachment 3607839
View attachment 3607840View attachment 3607841View attachment 3607842View attachment 3607838View attachment 3607837View attachment 3607836
You're a good chicken "Daddy". :hugs

What about climate change? IPPC mentioned its mainly the influence of climate change we get more trouble with strange and extreme weather.

Longer periods of heat with no rain in one place, weeks of heavy rains and floods in other places, more hurricanes and heavy storms, bigger hail (like tennis balls) etc, etc. The climate change is caused by mankind. Because of the use of fossil fuels, but also by the felling of rainforests and the increase in meat and dairy consumption. If we keep on consuming like we do today. Things will get worse.

El Nino is not a new phenomena. The amount of extremes we are dealing with since we entered the third millennium are.

Back
Top Bottom