Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I don't take hens off the nest. I figure they have been hatching eggs for thousands of years and instincts should tell them to get off and eat.
I don't usually. I give them three days, or have in the past and if they don't get off the nest after the three days then I lift them off. I usually only have to do it once or twice and they get the idea. Most know to get off and bathe, eat, etc. from day one.
The allotments, well they're a bit of a challenge. There isn't much point in them getting off the nest to eat because there is nothing to eat in the run unless they get up early enough to get whatevers left in the feed tray I prepare each night after the wild birds and rats have had a go. Far from ideal. The tribes used to come out when I opened them up and the broodies could came and go as they pleased. Even if they missed feeding time there was enough good quality forage for a mum to at least feed her chicks. Not the case at the allotments unless I've let them out of the run.
I'm pretty sure Fret has got off her nest at least on some days before I got there. But, I wanted to make sure, so I lifted her off daily and had food available for her to eat. I feel her crop either on the extension roost bar or on the nest most days. Fret isn't like Ruffles for example who wouldn't dream of going back to her nest until her crop was bulging. With Fret, if I can feel at least some food in her crop then that's good enough. She lost some weight last time she sat. Hopefully this time she'll have lost less.

I don't take hens off the nest. I figure they have been hatching eggs for thousands of years and instincts should tell them to get off and eat.
Same here.

Also hens that sit all day don't have the same energy requirements as hens who are moving around all day.

I'd say do what I did. Give the broodies the eggs on lockdown, so just before they pip. I think it's the best way all around. Except from doing a broody hatch from the start, of course
It's definitely given me more confidence to think more on the idea. I wanted to use this system to attempt to circumvent summer time hatch fails, although I may stick with my current plan of no summer sitting this year. It can't be good for the hens to sit in the heat as well as the fact that my hatching rate plummets.

I don't usually. I give them three days, or have in the past and if they don't get off the nest after the three days then I lift them off. I usually only have to do it once or twice and they get the idea. Most know to get off and bathe, eat, etc. from day one.
The allotments, well they're a bit of a challenge. There isn't much point in them getting off the nest to eat because there is nothing to eat in the run unless they get up early enough to get whatevers left in the feed tray I prepare each night after the wild birds and rats have had a go. Far from ideal. The tribes used to come out when I opened them up and the broodies could came and go as they pleased. Even if they missed feeding time there was enough good quality forage for a mum to at least feed her chicks. Not the case at the allotments unless I've let them out of the run.
I'm pretty sure Fret has got off her nest at least on some days before I got there. But, I wanted to make sure, so I lifted her off daily and had food available for her to eat. I feel her crop either on the extension roost bar or on the nest most days. Fret isn't like Ruffles for example who wouldn't dream of going back to her nest until her crop was bulging. With Fret, if I can feel at least some food in her crop then that's good enough. She lost some weight last time she sat. Hopefully this time she'll have lost less.
That's a good point.

Also if a hen is on a special diet, then she has to be fed at feeding time, so getting her up might be the best option.

It's definitely given me more confidence to think more on the idea. I wanted to use this system to attempt to circumvent summer time hatch fails, although I may stick with my current plan of no summer sitting this year. It can't be good for the hens to sit in the heat as well as the fact that my hatching rate plummets.

Well, this has been my first hatch, and Cruella sat through grueling temperatures. She handled the heat way better than some birds that were not brooding. That being said, the nest was/is in a cool place, she's tiny, and it was shaded 24/7

Sunny and warm. One chick was visable when I got there. The other appeared an hour later.
P8161914.JPG
P8161915.JPG
P8161916.JPG

Fret has pushed one egg out from underneath her so I take it that one isn't going to hatch.
P8161927.JPG

Henry keeps going around the back and listening under the nest box.:love
P8161919.JPG

Waiting in the sun while Fret gets on with it. Reminds me of waiting in the wating room at a hospital.
P8161923.JPG

Is Carbon going to have a go? In my experience broodiness spreads through hens. At least she isn't trying to lay in Fret's nest anymore.
P8161920.JPG

Chicks and rippening tomatoes. What more could one ask for.
P8161917.JPG
P8161918.JPG

P8161925.JPG
P8161921.JPG
P8161924.JPG

Sunny and warm. One chick was visable when I got there. The other appeared an hour later.
View attachment 3611059View attachment 3611061View attachment 3611060
Fret has pushed one egg out from underneath her so I take it that one isn't going to hatch.
View attachment 3611058

Henry keeps going around the back and listening under the nest box.:love
View attachment 3611054

Waiting in the sun while Fret gets on with it. Reminds me of waiting in the wating room at a hospital.
View attachment 3611055

Is Carbon going to have a go? In my experience broodiness spreads through hens. At least she isn't trying to lay in Fret's nest anymore.
View attachment 3611052

Chicks and rippening tomatoes. What more could one ask for.
View attachment 3611050View attachment 3611051
View attachment 3611053View attachment 3611056View attachment 3611057

Congrats(again :D )! They're gorgeous! Henry looks like the proudest of dads!

Back
Top Bottom