Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Four years ago today Skeksis laid her first egg. I can still remember the look of pure joy on my wife's face. At the time I thought it was a blessing, but now I view it as more of a curse, since my sweet girl's early demise was brought about by the whole process. She simply was a star that shined just a little too bright. I will always love my funny looking little bird.

View attachment 3613477

Your Skeksis was very beautiful and unique. I understand a bit of what you feel.

Warning: sad story 😔

This is my Butchie. She hatched on August 3, 2020. She laid her first egg on Dec 30 2020 -- at just five months old. She died at 10 am this morning. She was just over 3 years old.

IMG_20230819_075308.jpg

Butchie was my last link to my original little flock, who taught me so much about caring for sick birds from day one. Respiratory disease, bumblefoot, chronic prolapse -- they came with so many problems I had no experience with, but I read and learned and did what I could. After Butchie hatched and survived -- the only one from her mother's clutch -- I decided to close my flock for over two years to keep Butchie and my two survivors (Cleo and Cheri) safe.

So once Cheri weaned Butchie, she was tribeless, rejected on the basis of youth by the others, always running to catch up with them and getting pecked on harshly. She injured her leg in the process. At three months old, I brought her inside to live with Juan, myself, and our amazingly tolerant dogs.

FB_IMG_1692449763761.jpg

She adapted well to being a house chick. I set her leg with a splint and it healed. She grew stronger followed me everywhere. She didn't cluck or caw -- she cooed along with music we played and chatted back to podcasters. When she was one year old, she went to the coop to roost with the others, and was accepted.

She became symptomatic of a reproductive problem herself about a year ago. She laid several soft, shellless eggs, began having episodes of diarrhea, sour crop, and exhaustion. Without recourse to any vet, much less an avian vet, I treated her symptoms. I dewormed. Treated for coccidiosis. Tried antifungal cream. She wasn't laying any more by then, and she had been such a sweet and dear pet, I was only thinking "How can I help this poor girl feel better?"

She finally responded to a very judicious dosing of acidified copper sulfate. She bounced back for weeks, even months at a time. But something was growing inside her body, a hard doughy lump on the right side of abdomen. The lump restricted her digestion and made processing large amounts of food or certain foods difficult. I adjusted her diet. She ate mostly scrambled eggs, sweet potato, and small amounts of mashed fermented whole grains. She wasn't perfectly well, but she went outside, she sun bathed and dust bathed, she ate her careful rations with relish. She still loved music. I can honestly say that in my efforts to prolong her life, she had more good days than bad.

Two weeks ago she began her molt. And that was the beginning of the end. She began to waddle and bulge in a bigger, squishier way. I palpated her abdomen and could feel the lump inside had grown more and harder lumps surrounded by fluid. A few days ago, the crop filled with liquid and wouldn't clear. I did the usual things that worked on her before -- fasting, flushing, emptying the crop, probiotics. But her system was just giving out. Yesterday, anything that she tried to eat or drink came right back up out of her beak. By the afternoon, she was that awful dark dusky purple color that tells you death is at the door -- my two that died of bronchitis looked like that near the end. Everything in her eyes told me she was just so tired.

She had been through so much and faced it with courage and will to live. But I could see she was done. I didn't want her to also suffer the gasping, gurgling, slow death that was surely on its way. So this morning -- with the capable and kind guidance of a neighbor -- I learned a new and indispensable chicken keeping skill. How to perform a cervical dislocation on an ailing much loved chicken with no hope for recovery. It was quick and clean. And then I held her and waited and looked at the sky for an hour until her body was cold, and then I buried her next to our dog Suki and Cleo under a big tree 💚

It's been a hard but also happy year of chicken deaths and new chicks. I'm hoping this robust group I have now -- none of them have been sick a day, knock wood -- live longer and less troubled lives. But I feel better being prepared to help them die with a little less pain at the end.

I love you and will miss you very much Butchie.
FB_IMG_1689890196617.jpg

IMG_20211222_122259.jpg

Last edited:
Your Skeksis was very beautiful and unique. I understand a bit of what you feel.

This is my Butchie. She hatched on August 3, 2020. She laid her first egg on Dec 30 2020 -- at just five months old. She died at 10 am this morning. She was just over 3 years old.

View attachment 3613972

Butchie was my last link to my original little flock, who taught me so much about caring for sick birds from day one. Respiratory disease, bumblefoot, chronic prolapse -- they came with so many problems I had no experience with, but I read and learned and did what I could. After Butchie hatched and survived -- the only one from her mother's clutch -- I decided to close my flock for over two years to keep Butchie and my two survivors (Cleo and Cheri) safe.

So once Cheri weaned Butchie, she was tribeless, rejected on the basis of youth by the others, always running to catch up with them and getting pecked on harshly. She injured her leg in the process. At three months old, I brought her inside to live with Juan, myself, and our amazingly tolerant dogs.

View attachment 3613970

She adapted well to being a house chick. I set her leg with a splint and it healed. She grew stronger followed me everywhere. She didn't cluck or caw -- she cooed along with music we played and chatted back to podcasters. When she was one year old, she went to the coop to roost with the others, and was accepted.

She became symptomatic of a reproductive problem herself about a year ago. She laid several soft, shellless eggs, began having episodes of diarrhea, sour crop, and exhaustion. Without recourse to any vet, much less an avian vet, I treated her symptoms. I dewormed. Treated for coccidiosis. Tried antifungal cream. She wasn't laying any more by then, and she had been such a sweet and dear pet, I was only thinking "How can I help this poor girl feel better?"

She finally responded to a very judicious dosing of acidified copper sulfate. She bounced back for weeks, even months at a time. But something was growing inside her body, a hard doughy lump on the right side of abdomen. The lump restricted her digestion and made processing large amounts of food or certain foods difficult. I adjusted her diet. She ate mostly scrambled eggs, sweet potato, and small amounts of mashed fermented whole grains. She wasn't perfectly well, but she went outside, she sun bathed and dust bathed, she ate her careful rations with relish. She still loved music. I can honestly say that in my efforts to prolong her life, she had more good days than bad.

Two weeks ago she began her molt. And that was the beginning of the end. She began to waddle and bulge in a bigger, squishier way. I palpated her abdomen and could feel the lump inside had grown more and harder lumps surrounded by fluid. A few days ago, the crop filled with liquid and wouldn't clear. I did the usual things that worked on her before -- fasting, flushing, emptying the crop, probiotics. But her system was just giving out. Yesterday, anything that she tried to eat or drink came right back up out of her beak. By the afternoon, she was that awful dark dusky purple color that tells you death is at the door -- my two that died of bronchitis looked like that near the end. Everything in her eyes told me she was just so tired.

She had been through so much and faced it with courage and will to live. But I could see she was done. I didn't want her to also suffer the gasping, gurgling, slow death that was surely on its way. So this morning -- with the capable and kind guidance of a neighbor -- I learned a new and indispensable chicken keeping skill. How to perform a cervical dislocation on an ailing much loved chicken with no hope for recovery. It was quick and clean. And then I held her and waited and looked at the sky for an hour until her body was cold, and then I buried her next to our dog Suki and Cleo under a big tree 💚

It's been a hard but also happy year of chicken deaths and new chicks. I'm hoping this robust group I have now -- none of them have been sick a day, knock wood -- live longer and less troubled lives. But I feel better being prepared to help them die with a little less pain at the end.

View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977
Roost in peace sweet Butchie! 💙

View attachment 3613972

View attachment 3613970

View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977
I am sorry you lost her - I know she was special. Your story is a lovely tribute to her.
Fly high Butchie.
:love

View attachment 3613972

View attachment 3613970

View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977
That was such a touching and loving story. :hugs :hugs :hugs

View attachment 3613972

View attachment 3613970

View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977
Just a few years ago I would have never understood how or why someone would be sad over the death of a chicken. Now I know, because these birds are so damn amazing. I am sure Butchie had a great life, albeit short it was.

View attachment 3613972

View attachment 3613970

View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977

This made me tear up. I'm so so sorry you lost her. It's very evident you loved her to bits, and I'm sure she reciprocated those feelings. Losing the special ones is always harder. Looking at the sky is something I totally resonate with. Fly, dustbathe, scratch, and roost in peace up there, Butchie❤️ :hugs

@Perris, I understand what a species is.

I read this a lot but I don't believe it anymore. Shad's experience with rescues constitutes some evidence. Since the chicken genome is known in its entirety, let's see some figures from those who want to maintain they're genetically different.
This is were I couldn’t follow. Now I wonder which experience with rescues you are referring to. And what you mean with genetically different. I was not referring to the chickens genome 🧬 but to the genes /pieces of DNA where the differences from one chicken to another chicken can be found. Genes/DNA can easily mutate. Most are not good mutations, but sometimes they are.

Some mutations survive in next generations and if it’s a better one it concurs with the old gene (over time). If the effect of the new gene is : more chances to survive for whatever reason, it will have effect in the following generations.
With chickens a new breed (new characteristics /new genes) can get established within a few decades. Using the (eggs of) chickens that lay every day and not the chickens who lay less than 6,5 days a week will increase the number of eggs within a few generations. The main side effect (shorter life) is of no importance to the factory farmers.

Back
Top Bottom