Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hi folks, I see I have some catching up to do. Been offline foreman-ing a house build on a plot of land we're regenerating with agroforestry for some Canadians. Will catch up when I can. In the meantime, here's some TAX

IMG_20230902_191303.jpg

This spunky little black hen and her two innocent looking chicks have completely destroyed the nice border of pretty plants around the kitchen building scratching for bugs.

IMG_20230902_185407.jpg

Tobias is definitely the smarter and steadier or the young cockerels. He stays out of Lucio's way but takes his job as leader of the juveniles seriously. He always has this rather pensive look I admire.

I recently read on our public radio website that for humans one of the explanation of our different reaction to heat, other than being used to it, is that our individual body temperature are actually not all similar. It varies with age but also with genetics. Possibly this is true for chickens as well.
I have been reading an article long time ago (sorry no link) about genetic adjustments within chickens, like heat and cold tolerance. But it counts for other ‘specs’ too. Like colouring, aggressive behaviour etc.
Has to do with survival of the fittest and the fast follow up of generations.

Example: white chickens are more vulnerable to get caught by a predator than the partridge coloured chickens. If you have an equal number of both to start with, and let both groups free range, there will be a change in quantities within 10 years because the partridge coloured chickens survive more often.
Same thing happens with fit to cold / heat etc.

Where chickens are kept safe, and humans interfere in chicken specifications, the humans who select for a specific purpose or looks only need about 10 - 20 years to establish a new breed.

The new breed Schijndelaar (white with green eggs) is a good example :
Source https://www.levendehave.nl/dierenwikis/algemeen/schijndelaar
Started with the idea around 1980. Breeding program started with a few different breeds. Finally they entered leghorns for white birds in 1990.
In 2001 they got an official recognition.

Oh no! That's big trouble. I hate that people have been so irresponsible. Invasive species are a real problem everywhere these days. I wouldn't wish raccoons on anyone. I am super jealous of everyone's garden hauls, I seem to be developing a brown thumb these days. Even the chicken poop hasn't helped. Celeste and Elvira jealousy tax.

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_140605.jpg
    IMG_20230814_140605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Yes, I'd like a good recipe for zucchini bread if you have one.
I have two recipes and both are good and freeze well.

The first one is:

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 Eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (your favorite)

Beat eggs till foamy. Add oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well with electric mixer. Sift dry ingredients, add to egg mixture. Add nuts. Divide batter in 2 loaf pans (greases and floured).

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes at 325F.

Yields: 2 loaves

The second one is:

ZUCCHINI NUT BREAD

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 tsps. vanilla extract

Combine flour, salt, soda, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamom; stir in pecans. Combine remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.

Bake at 350F. for 1 hour and ten minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.

Yields: 2 loaves

Both recipes are great as a giveaway for Christmas and I bake them in the small aluminum pans.

Hope you enjoy!!!!

Oh no! That's big trouble. I hate that people have been so irresponsible. Invasive species are a real problem everywhere these days. I wouldn't wish raccoons on anyone. I am super jealous of everyone's garden hauls, I seem to be developing a brown thumb these days. Even the chicken poop hasn't helped. Celeste and Elvira jealousy tax.
I agree.
I have a big problem with them

I don't know what yall are doing, but over here we're freezing. It's 22°C and it's not even October:rant

22C is a veritable heatwave up here in Scotland. We have had 24C today and are absolutely sweating. I had to shelter in the shade multiple times today as I adjusted the coop for our growing adolescent chickens.

In tangentially-related news, our black chicken, Beatrix, has been broody for a long while now and we cannot break the brood, so we just gave in and popped some eggs under her this weekend. Might not be the best time for more littles in the lead up to winter, but we have plenty of space and it usually doesn't get too cold for too long where I live.

Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe it's chicken intuition, but if Beatrix had been allowed to sit when she originally became broody, her babies would have been hatching at exactly the start of this current heatwave, and she would have been sitting inside, sheltering from all the constant rain over the last few weeks leading up to it. I swear chickens contain multitudes of wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom