Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I tried this but he doesn't even attempt to dustbathe. I guess he still hasn't regained enough control over his body movement to undertake all the actions or some part of the process. He can stand on one leg and scratch his head with the other foot, which is probably the best balancing act he can manage as yet.
your dust bath sounds lovely btw; mine has just dirt, bonfire ash and DE in it!
I put some wood ash and DE in mine as well, but I hesitate to mention it sometimes on this site because it is a rather contentious issue!

I hope you figure out how to help the poor lad... my best wishes for his improved recovery!

Further to https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/post-27179811 I have been reflecting on Chirk, since he now spends a lot of the day in the bin-serving-as-coop, and didn't come out to eat his tea yesterday. He is not used to captivity; he had never even been held before he got sick. When does temporary confinement for his own protection slip into keeping him in a coop and run 'for his own good'? I think I need to let him out; what do others think?
I understand why he contained but in my experience too long a containment ends up having a negative effect on recovery from both injuries and illness. It is possible that he may never be able to rejoin the rest and this is something that needs to be tested as soon as possible.
I think as others have written that you need to let him out under supervision mainly to test whether the other roosters attack him. If they do attack him then some thought about what kind of future he has is the next issue and only you can deal with this.

Rain more on than off all day. Three hours today, one in the morning and two this evening.
I'm not a happy chappy. My sister and her husband were both sick with flu like symptoms when they arrived. My sisters son has informed them this evening he has covid and my sisters husband's daughter who they came to see for her birthday has gone down sick.
It just doesn't seem to have registered with my elder sister and husband that if one feels unwell, even if one thinks it's just a cold or a touch of flu, one doesn't go off visiting the family. I did a lateral flow test this evening and it came up negative but it's too early to be sure, so now I can't go and see people until I'm sure I'm not carrying covid or the flue. It's my eldests birthday this week.:he

Anyway, fingers crossed.:fl
P9172288.JPG
P9172291.JPG
P9172293.JPG
P9172292.JPG
P9172297.JPG

Rain more on than off all day. Three hours today, one in the morning and two this evening.
I'm not a happy chappy. My sister and her husband were both sick with flu like symptoms when they arrived. My sisters son has informed them this evening he has covid and my sisters husband's daughter who they came to see for her birthday has gone down sick.
It just doesn't seem to have registered with my elder sister and husband that if one feels unwell, even if one thinks it's just a cold or a touch of flu, one doesn't go off visiting the family. I did a lateral flow test this evening and it came up negative but it's too early to be sure, so now I can't go and see people until I'm sure I'm not carrying covid or the flue. It's my eldests birthday this week.:he

View attachment 3638184View attachment 3638185View attachment 3638183View attachment 3638182View attachment 3638181

Hope you have not been infected, and can make it to your eldest's birthday celebration, or can just go see her and wish her happy birthday:hugs

It just doesn't seem to have registered with my elder sister and husband that if one feels unwell, even if one thinks it's just a cold or a touch of flu, one doesn't go off visiting
It's a simple concept, yet I meet soooo many people who either never heard of it or don't care :barnie

I did a lateral flow test this evening and it came up negative but it's too early to be sure, so now I can't go and see people until I'm sure I'm not carrying covid or the flue. It's my eldests birthday this week.:he

I do hope they didn’t contaminate you. Covid is not a nice desease to go through.

And I wonder how you will get to the allotment every day when bus transport is out of the question. Or can you go by bus with a mask?

Here the virus was very calm during summer, but it starts to increase now. Our medic health care organisation starts vaccinating the 60+ from the start of October (not obligatory).

tax: Abby and Ini-mini.
IMG_3409.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom