Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Our late-season broody, Beatrix, hatched her chicks over the weekend! They were running around the coop yesterday morning, but I didn't get a chance at a proper picture until today.

There were 11 original eggs under her (a juggler's dozen we called it). All of the eggs were random back yard mix eggs from our flock. We just chose the best looking ones and called it a day, so I'm not really sure who is who.

She broke/ate three, two didn't hatch, and one hatched very weak and succumbed to the elements when she left the nest. The five she has look strong and happy. We will name them when their personalities/genders emerge in several weeks time.

No photo description available.

Last edited:
Our late broody, Beatrix, hatched her chicks over the weekend! They were running around the coop yesterday morning, but I didn't get a chance at a proper picture until today.

There were 11 original eggs under her (a juggler's dozen we called it). All of the eggs were random back yard mix eggs from our flock. We just chose the best looking ones and called it a day, so I'm not really sure who is who.

She broke/ate three, two didn't hatch, and one hatched very weak and succumbed to the elements when she left the nest. The five she has look strong and happy. We will name them when their personalities/genders emerge in several weeks time.

No photo description available.

You should name one of the cockerels Dolly Parton :oops: :p

https://www.nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1757.pdf

I would definitely not be hanging bags of sulfur powder in and around the coop where the coming and going of chickens will release little clouds of this respiratory irritant, especially given the sensitive nature of the chickens respitory system.

It may be possibly slightly less harmful than breathing in clouds of DE.
coming back to the use of sulphur / sulfur, Nicol says the following about its use during a discussion of the benefits of dustbathing:

p.91 “hens that used an available dustbath reduced their mite and lice infestations by 80-100% within a week in comparison with non-users, with sulphur a particularly effective substrate in this regard… strong preference for sand over rice hulls, wood shavings or paper [for dustbath substrate]… long bouts of dustbathing that incorporate all of these possible elements [viz., scratching and raking through substrate, lie down, turn on side, raise feathers, wing shaking, head rubbing, more raking and scratching, lying, rubbing, before standing and shaking out] are a good indicator of positive welfare.”

Nothing is said there about respiratory harm caused by the sulphur in the dustbath - which doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but since her interest is hen welfare, I think she'd have mentioned it if she thought it was a significant hazard.

coming back to the use of sulphur / sulfur, Nicol says the following about its use during a discussion of the benefits of dustbathing:

p.91 “hens that used an available dustbath reduced their mite and lice infestations by 80-100% within a week in comparison with non-users, with sulphur a particularly effective substrate in this regard… strong preference for sand over rice hulls, wood shavings or paper [for dustbath substrate]… long bouts of dustbathing that incorporate all of these possible elements [viz., scratching and raking through substrate, lie down, turn on side, raise feathers, wing shaking, head rubbing, more raking and scratching, lying, rubbing, before standing and shaking out] are a good indicator of positive welfare.”

Nothing is said there about respiratory harm caused by the sulphur in the dustbath - which doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but since her interest is hen welfare, I think she'd have mentioned it if she thought it was a significant hazard.
I believe inhaling any dust bath material would make me cough. I believe chickens don't breathe any of it in if they can help it. I have watched and they have coughed or sneezed when a hen shakes and a cloud spreads out... makes me cough too.

I have watched and they have coughed or sneezed when a hen shakes and a cloud spreads out...
good obs; typically I don't see clouds of dust while they're actually dustbathing, but only when they shake on exit, as you say. It's hard to imagine they can avoid breathing while dustbathing, especially given the length of time some of them spend on it!

good obs; typically I don't see clouds of dust while they're actually dustbathing, but only when they shake on exit, as you say. It's hard to imagine they can avoid breathing while dustbathing, especially given the length of time some of them spend on it!

I was thinking that they would stop breathing when a cloud and resume when all clear.

You should name one of the cockerels Dolly Parton :oops: :p
One of the blond ones? Lady gaga is no option anymore, of course. And what about the other dark ones if it was your decision? Beyonce, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin or Mary J. Blige?
The red with white one definitely should be named Ed Sheeran. 😂

Interesting.
And what a great description of a really satisfying dust bath!

Bernie emerged from one the other day and looked terrible - she had taken on so much dirt that her fluff was drooping down to the ground and her body feathers looked like they were falling off. A few good shakes and she was gorgeous again!

Four hours today. Pissed down with rain this morning and again this afternoon.
We still got out in the dry spells.
Henry has only got one sickle feather left and is patch moulting in various places.
Fret tried to get the chicks on the roost bar in the coop again tonight. Carbon pecking at them is the main problem and now when they go into the coop and Fret gets on the roost bar they come straight back out again.
View attachment 3646173View attachment 3646172View attachment 3646171View attachment 3646170View attachment 3646169View attachment 3646168View attachment 3646167
Both of my roosters only have one sickle feather remaining as well... they look pretty dreadful right now, bless them. Hope you're feeling a wee bit better!

One of the blond ones? Lady gaga is no option anymore, of course. And what about the other dark ones if it was your decision? Beyonce, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin or Mary J. Blige?
The red with white one definitely should be named Ed Sheeran. 😂

All of the above. Rihanna too. Oh and as for another blonde, we can do Adele. Ed Sheeran can only work if it's a pullet :p . I guess I can settle for Hen Sheeran🙄

Back
Top Bottom