Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Abby disappeared today around midday 🕛. She didn’t turn up again later or at roosting time. 😭 Of course I blame myself for loosing both pullets now. It’s just too dangerous for young pullets in my garden nowadays.
So sorry to read this; what predators hunt in your garden? I thought you were in a suburban area.

To follow on from the savage Austrailian magpies.
b73029331f846a7ad05de243bd9fd2fe37ef802fcea7bf67fa3334eb8dfd5401 (1).jpg

So sorry to read this; what predators hunt in your garden? I thought you were in a suburban area.
Predators I have seen in the past:
Foxes, Buzzards and a sparrowhawk. I know that a polecat lives nearby. And once in while I see a big cat (we think its a domesticated feral cat) in and near our garden.

And yes we live suburban in a small town. But we have a piece of land behind our garden that is rather peculiar.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/natural-breeding-project-no5-started-with-janice-pearl-and-11-hatching-eggs-🪺-🪺.1574045/

Not true unfortunately.
According to the NHS website:
“If you have coronavirus (COVID-19), you can spread the virus to other people for up to 10 days from when your infection starts.
But many people will no longer be contagious to others after 5 days.”

Personally I wouldn’t feel like mixing until I was completely recovered but am not the most sociable & don’t do well with crowds -they make me want to do this :oops: :lau

I really like his music for taking my mind off something and just drifting with his melodies. He's playing live in Cardiff next month, but the venue's acoustics are too poor for the subtlety and delicacy of his work, so I'll be giving it a miss.

The miserable week continues; Norton died today, through my carelessness. There's a large plastic trug in the garden which had a couple of inches of rainwater in it. It's about 6" deep and well within their ability to jump in and out, and though most of his/her body would have been above the water level, I assume Norton got too wet and cold before s/he could get out again; s/he had very little feathering as yet (was 2 weeks old on Tuesday) and the down was sopping wet. It must have happened between 4 and 5 because s/he was fine around 4 and dead by 5. I hope it wasn't too traumatic for Paprika and the other chicks, because I imagine they were all standing around cheeping to encourage him/her out until it went quiet. They had all moved on elsewhere when I noticed that 1 was missing and went looking. But Llandeilo was cheeping unusually loudly at tea. :( I should have kept a better eye on the trug and emptied it. It's a reminder that complacency and carelessness kills.

@Perris I'm so sorry about Amadeo has gone missing.

Maybe he will appear one day soon.

Was sorry to hear about Norton leaving also

Just hang in there things have to get better.

Back
Top Bottom