Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I usually have about 70 chickens and 30 turkeys of various ages.
During the nice weather they can get bugs and other protein. They eat 25 to 35 lbs of feed a day, more if lower protein. 40 to 50 lbs if snow covered.
A 40 lb bag of 28% is $24 USD I'm not using this year
A 50 lb bag of 24% turkey is $24
A 50 lb bag of 20% all flock is $17-18 I use Dec to end of February. Usually because the turkey lay better

How many tins would I need?

I have 9 hens and I feed them i can of sardines and i can of tuna.

The tuna at Walmart's today was $0.98 per can.

I have 9 hens and I feed them i can of sardines and i can of tuna.

The tuna at Walmart's today was $0.98 per can.
I usually get the safe catch pole caught skip jack tuna at Aldi for about $1.09 . Turkeys eat about 2x a chicken so for everyone about the cost of a bag of feed.

How do you make cottage cheese?
this is a good introduction to cheese-making @Ladies-Eight https://www.permaculturenews.org/2023/09/14/permaculture-cheesemaking/

The normal route (for this and almost every other type of cheese) these days is to buy a culture for the type of cheese you want to make, which will have been produced in a lab by one of a small handful of global corporations. Prior to our lifetimes, every cheesemaker just made cheese out of the milk produced in their region, and that's why there are so many varieties of cheese. Cottage cheese is so-called because it was made by householders in their cottages. You might find this interesting
https://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk...is-it-the-panacea-of-farmhouse-cheese-making/

It includes instructions from 1912 about making cheese the old fashioned way.

The back of Merle's comb has always gone purple from time to time. It happens when he's annoyed or on high alert. It's like he forgets to breathe. Clears up about as fast as it happens.

I've not really worried about it; just noticed it and thought of it as a Merle thang. Hopefully he's alright.

The issue is easy enough to capture in photos because I think he sees the big telephoto lens as a little bit aggressive 🙃

View attachment 3675592
View attachment 3675593
Thank you for sharing this. My rooster Lucio has a huge strawberry comb so the purple really looks scary on him -- but like Merle, it never lasts. Or seems to affect him. I'm hoping it's just a sign of some internal adjustment his body makes that isn't problematic.

Back
Top Bottom