Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

this is a good introduction to cheese-making @Ladies-Eight https://www.permaculturenews.org/2023/09/14/permaculture-cheesemaking/

The normal route (for this and almost every other type of cheese) these days is to buy a culture for the type of cheese you want to make, which will have been produced in a lab by one of a small handful of global corporations. Prior to our lifetimes, every cheesemaker just made cheese out of the milk produced in their region, and that's why there are so many varieties of cheese. Cottage cheese is so-called because it was made by householders in their cottages. You might find this interesting
https://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk...is-it-the-panacea-of-farmhouse-cheese-making/

It includes instructions from 1912 about making cheese the old fashioned way.
I need to read these.
I make cheese from the kefir I make. I just hang it in muslin to let the whey drain. It is like cream cheese but with that fermented tang.
I have never read about making cheese I just ended up doing this because my kefir grains went crazy on me and I was over-run with kefir. That is also how I discovered that the chickens love it - particularly frozen as a treat when it is hot.

OK this is probably not the best place to start this kind of discussion, as I know most of you only use broodies, which (at least most of them) would teach their young how to chicken. This is something I'd never come across before BYC. People are having problems with their pullets and cockerels roosting, and having to "teach" them how to do it. Am I the only one who has never come across this problem? I provide high perches from a young age, and the chicks always know what to do. Tax for being off topic as usual
Screenshot_20231104_145714_Gallery.jpg

OK this is probably not the best place to start this kind of discussion, as I know most of you only use broodies, which (at least most of them) would teach their young how to chicken. This is something I'd never come across before BYC. People are having problems with their pullets and cockerels roosting, and having to "teach" them how to do it. Am I the only one who has never come across this problem? I provide high perches from a young age, and the chicks always know what to do. Tax for being off topic as usualView attachment 3676088
I never had to show any chicken how to roost. They just did it.

OK this is probably not the best place to start this kind of discussion, as I know most of you only use broodies, which (at least most of them) would teach their young how to chicken. This is something I'd never come across before BYC. People are having problems with their pullets and cockerels roosting, and having to "teach" them how to do it. Am I the only one who has never come across this problem? I provide high perches from a young age, and the chicks always know what to do. Tax for being off topic as usualView attachment 3676088
Uh, since this post is relevant to chickens, I'd say it's way more relevant than cheesemaking, what we humans like to eat, fishing regulations, music videos, or guns. Not that I don't enjoy the other discussions, but I believe our host has said a few times that all chicken topics are on topic.

this is a good introduction to cheese-making @Ladies-Eight https://www.permaculturenews.org/2023/09/14/permaculture-cheesemaking/

The normal route (for this and almost every other type of cheese) these days is to buy a culture for the type of cheese you want to make, which will have been produced in a lab by one of a small handful of global corporations. Prior to our lifetimes, every cheesemaker just made cheese out of the milk produced in their region, and that's why there are so many varieties of cheese. Cottage cheese is so-called because it was made by householders in their cottages. You might find this interesting
https://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk...is-it-the-panacea-of-farmhouse-cheese-making/

It includes instructions from 1912 about making cheese the old Tway.

Thank you for the directions to making cottage cheese.

I've heard this about kefir: if you want some grains, just find someone who already has them, because they'll have more than they know what to do with and will be happy to give some away :lol:
Oddly enough, my uncle just offered me some! 😂
I think people get impatient, as new chicks won’t roost right away and will sleep in a big pile together. I am guilty of showing my chicks how to roost at about the 8 week mark, if they haven’t done it already. If there are no older chickens to show them, it can take a bit longer. On the farm we did not show the chicks, and some took longer than others, but they all eventually roosted on their own.

Oddly enough, my uncle just offered me some! 😂

I think people get impatient, as new chicks won’t roost right away and will sleep in a big pile together. I am guilty of showing my chicks how to roost at about the 8 week mark, if they haven’t done it already. If there are no older chickens to show them, it can take a bit longer. On the farm we did not show the chicks, and some took longer than others, but they all eventually roosted on their own.

Accept the offer for the grains🤣🤣🤣.

I believe the same. People are impatient and want their chicks to roost (like I was with the Cruella bunch). That said, most of mine roost way before the 8 week mark. The last bunch first roosted when they were 6 days old. Temperature is definitely a factor though

I'd say it's way more relevant than cheesemaking, what we humans like to eat, fishing regulations
I can't speak for others, but my posts on foodstuffs are motivated by a desire to find or make good food for chickens. (I might eat it as well of course, since it's real food, but that's not why I'm posting about it here :p )

Back
Top Bottom