Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Got some frizzles in that bunch. The people who took in our flock send me pics. I post the good ones here. I miss having chickens, especially Skeksis.
I love seeing pics of your chicken's legacy, it shows life goes on :love . It must be hard adjusting to a life without chickens especially when you spent a lot of your time with them or thinking about them.
The same type of increased bioavialibilty of grains according to the web.
I have a friend that is a vegan and they ferment their nuts.:p:lol:
In fact they seem to ferment just about everything they put in their broths.
Tastes good.
I don't ferment nuts but most often I soak them especially almonds and walnuts, for increased bioavailability and because they taste more like fresh.
I don't do it when they are right off the tree.
About this here fermenting business.
There's stuff that Perris didn't mention in their No Sweat Wholesome home made feed article. For example, they didn't mention having to completely rearrange the kitchen to accomodate the fast accumulating bags of dried beans and peas and other stuff one may have thought interesting to put in the feed mix.
Perris also doesn't mention the amount of money spent on having the sudden urge to try out some grain and seed recipies, or get a pea mix and make a broth, and now I'm eating the same stuff as the chickens. :he:lol:
I've even bought bags of bean flour!
You are what they (mostly unknowingly) call a type A maybe 🤔.

There's stuff that Perris didn't mention in their No Sweat Wholesome home made feed article. For example, they didn't mention having to completely rearrange the kitchen to accomodate the fast accumulating bags of dried beans and peas and other stuff one may have thought interesting to put in the feed mix.
Fair cop Gov! I bought a 30 l storage box for my new 'dry goods' section!
DSC03979.JPG

Perris also doesn't mention the amount of money spent on having the sudden urge to try out some grain and seed recipies, or get a pea mix and make a broth, and now I'm eating the same stuff as the chickens.
Also true! However, whether or not the chickens like it, I know I can eat it, and it'll be good for me, so it's not a waste of money (unlike the stuff sold as chicken feed, which I wouldn't let near my guts!). :p How's the bean flour? Gram flour (chickpea) was a great find for me.

Would you post a picture of the fermented food before you serve it up?
Here's breakfast for my lot Ladies-Eight, before top dressing (with mealworms this morning)
DSC03978.JPG

what you're looking at is (in random order): whole wheat berries, whole maize (red, yellow and white), whole black sunflowers, peas (green and white), mung beans, pigeon peas (split), safflowers, dari (red and white), naked oats, rice, and there should be some tares, hemp seed, black rape and maple peas in there somewhere too.

I don't normally have so many varieties on the go at once; this is a combination of 3 sacks of different mixes because 1 pea combo sack was coming to the bottom and I wanted to get the sack out (Shad's kitchen organization issue biting) so I amalgamated it with the other, and I always put to ferment together some from the pea mix sack with some from the mostly wheat sack.

About this here fermenting business.
Perris also doesn't mention the amount of money spent on having the sudden urge to try out some grain and seed recipies, or get a pea mix and make a broth, and now I'm eating the same stuff as the chickens. :he:lol:
I've even bought bags of bean flour!
I was like that for the first two months of switching to homemade feed. I was constantly buying and trying new ingredients, staring at the chickens while they were eating to see what they went for, scrutinizing what was left on the ground (very little if anything) and compiling notes on the nutritional content of every ingredient.

After a while, I was like, ok, enough. The chickens were eating and active, looked healthy, hens were laying, so I started to relax about it. Now I've got a "basic recipe" that I sometimes add to depending on seasonal availability or what I've harvested that week from the farm.

Btw, if there's a neighborhood in your area where people from India or Pakistan have settled, there will likely be shops where you can get lots of good legumes for various dals that are easy to soak like red lentils and mung beans. And ground versions (flours) of them as well. Prices in these shops are usually lower than bougie health food shops.

Btw, if there's a neighborhood in your area where people from India or Pakistan have settled, there will likely be shops where you can get lots of good legumes for various dals that are easy to soak like red lentils and mung beans. And ground versions (flours) of them as well. Prices in these shops are usually lower than bougie health food shops.
Yes that's the case here too. They can be cheaper than the supermarkets too.
How are you?
all good thank you, except fed up to the back teeth with all the rain we've had since July. The weather been odd all year in different ways at different times, and it's not just me who's put out by it; I saw a Valerian in flower this morning; they are usually out in July! It's November for pete's sake!

I love seeing pics of your chicken's legacy, it shows life goes on :love . It must be hard adjusting to a life without chickens especially when you spent a lot of your time with them or thinking about them.
I've been depressed since Skeksis died. This past week has been especially tough for some unknown reason. I miss being able to just go outside and spending time with chickens. It was basically my therapy.

Back
Top Bottom