Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Been playing catchup again. We lost our Ribbies, he had advanced in-operable intestinal cancer, he had to be euthanized. Despite knowing it was the the only answer, I am still heart broken. We were lucky he adopted us and we had a little over 3 years with him. I have not been at all social.

1699932624247.png

My surprise cockerels are lovely boys. Pip and Squeak. They actually like to be petted under their chins between the wattles. The second and third groups, have been left to be a bit more wild, less handling, but it seems they still like a certain amount of attention, which I oblige when they initiate.

1699932768338.png
(Pip being a charmer.)

1699932715481.png
(Squeak on parade.)

Blue is doing an amazing job coping with the added responsibilities and he has been 'assigning' roles to the other boys, Spud tends to still be the trusted patrol guard. There have been little to no hostilities, the boys are less pushy and violent in their mating attempts. Blue is never forceful, Goldie, Spud and Pip immediately stop when I shout at them to "Stop being rapey", Pip will correct Squeak when he ignores me. Squeak was specifically focused on one poor little pullet and refused to stop, despite the poor little girl's loud protestations, Pip tackled him, but immediately stopped when I called him off. They both let me check them over and no injuries. They all defer to Blue as 'King of the Run' but they all have a few girls that like their company, EVEN SPUD! I am so happy to see him getting some adoration, but he still dances for me and the egg thief (Hubby). They split off into little groups, but will also come together for meal time, with the 5 boys patrolling around the ladies while they eat.

Blue does not attack me anymore and happily eats out of my hand and as long as he gets first consideration, he does not mind me feeding the other boys by hand but does tend to come collect tax from each. He still finds the egg thief to be an intruder.

Blue, Goldie and Spud are moulting, (mildly.) as are the older girls.

The first group were hatched in January, the second an 3rd batch were hatched in May and June. The 5 and 6 months Old babies are at least double the size of the 10 month old babies. The only other difference is that, due to weather, they were outside at a younger age and were started on mash right away and went straight to fermented feed from the starter feed. So does the time of year they are hatched, have an all-around impact on their health and hardiness?

@Shadrach I am hoping Carbon makes a full recovery!

Okay, I've redone the math and I think we both got it wrong.

44.2% ought to be .442mg/1ml
442mg/1ml would be 44,200%, right?

The dilution is 3oz./10gal.
Which would be 0.3 oz./1gal.
0.3oz. = 8.87206ml (just used an online conversion for this bit)
1gal = 3785.41ml
So, 8.87ml concentrate / 3785.41ml water is the dilution we're after.

0.442 x 8.87206 = 3.921
So the concentrate has 3.921 mg active ingredient / 8.87206 ml = 0.442 = 44.2%

3.921mg active ingredient / 3785.41ml (1 gal) = 0.00104,
which would be about 0.1% (I forgot to convert the decimal to a percentage when I first calculated it, so I thought it was 0.001%)

Which would mean the stuff from Lowes actually has too high a concentration, right?

I'd love some double and triple checking on this because I'm going cross-eyed.
I can't help you with the math but I can tell you that you have to buy the liquid stuff. 1 ml of water weighs 1mg , but 1 ml of anything else will weigh something different.

Lots of stuff that gravity normally holds to the ground went airborn today. Steady strong winds with 40mph+ gusts. Henry got blown off course hard enough to warrent a five step stagger to stay upright! The rest spent most of the afternoon either under the shade box, or in the coop extension. Oh yeah, it threw some wet stuff around as well. I would just get my face turned out of the wind when the wind would whip around 90 degrees and shower me with rain. I need windscreen wipers for my glasses!

Carbons droppings are still looking good and possibly better than yesterday. I don't know much about her balance and energy levels yet because they didn't leave the run often. Hopefully get a better idea tomorrow.
View attachment 3683196

View attachment 3683201
View attachment 3683200View attachment 3683199View attachment 3683198View attachment 3683195
Do you think Henry's legs will be smooth when he's finished moulting?

Been playing catchup again. We lost our Ribbies, he had advanced in-operable intestinal cancer, he had to be euthanized. Despite knowing it was the the only answer, I am still heart broken. We were lucky he adopted us and we had a little over 3 years with him. I have not been at all social.

View attachment 3683377

My surprise cockerels are lovely boys. Pip and Squeak. They actually like to be petted under their chins between the wattles. The second and third groups, have been left to be a bit more wild, less handling, but it seems they still like a certain amount of attention, which I oblige when they initiate.

View attachment 3683380 (Pip being a charmer.)

View attachment 3683379(Squeak on parade.)

Blue is doing an amazing job coping with the added responsibilities and he has been 'assigning' roles to the other boys, Spud tends to still be the trusted patrol guard. There have been little to no hostilities, the boys are less pushy and violent in their mating attempts. Blue is never forceful, Goldie, Spud and Pip immediately stop when I shout at them to "Stop being rapey", Pip will correct Squeak when he ignores me. Squeak was specifically focused on one poor little pullet and refused to stop, despite the poor little girl's loud protestations, Pip tackled him, but immediately stopped when I called him off. They both let me check them over and no injuries. They all defer to Blue as 'King of the Run' but they all have a few girls that like their company, EVEN SPUD! I am so happy to see him getting some adoration, but he still dances for me and the egg thief (Hubby). They split off into little groups, but will also come together for meal time, with the 5 boys patrolling around the ladies while they eat.

Blue does not attack me anymore and happily eats out of my hand and as long as he gets first consideration, he does not mind me feeding the other boys by hand but does tend to come collect tax from each. He still finds the egg thief to be an intruder.

Blue, Goldie and Spud are moulting, (mildly.) as are the older girls.

The first group were hatched in January, the second an 3rd batch were hatched in May and June. The 5 and 6 months Old babies are at least double the size of the 10 month old babies. The only other difference is that, due to weather, they were outside at a younger age and were started on mash right away and went straight to fermented feed from the starter feed. So does the time of year they are hatched, have an all-around impact on their health and hardiness?

@Shadrach I am hoping Carbon makes a full recovery!
Thank you for the updates Mrs. Northie. I was wondering if you were all right. I'm so sorry about your dear doggie. 🖤

Well, Willa is still a troublemaker, though not her fault, now. When I got this trio, I looked them over well, eyes and nares clean, no wheeze ing, sneezing,butts clean no mites or lice. Quarantined for two weeks, all good. I did notice that Willa had some really fat toes, but I was not familiar with barred rocks,so I thought maybe that was just her. Then I noticed that she laid down a lot, and was reluctant to jump the few inches down from the run into the chicken yard. I checked her again for a bumble, nope. I started to think she had gout, so I did some reading, That sounded right. I took her to the vet to see if I could get some medication to help, but the vet didn't think it was gout. She didn't actually say she thought it was mycoplasma, but asked me if I was familiar with it. Thinking it was mainly respiratory, and not having those kind of symptoms, I didn't think that was it. The vet put her on antibiotics, (trimethoprim sulfa) and carprofen ( NSAID) for two weeks if no improvement then possible X-Ray. So now, reading about Mycoplasma synovae, damn. The others are fine, and it is treatable, but I had planned on getting a couple pullets in spring. Bummed. Tax, the troublemaker and the "good" girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_135610.jpg
    IMG_20231109_135610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231109_135953.jpg
    IMG_20231109_135953.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231109_135512.jpg
    IMG_20231109_135512.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom