Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

There are 3 species of Buckthorn native to Europe including the UK
Yes. You and ManueB are rught.

I didn’t know the name and asked google to translate it for me. The translated name was something I didn't recognise either. But further investigations led me to the one you mention:
Sea Buckthorn is the thorny coastal one that likes full sun, has narrow, silvery leaves & orange berries which are full of vitamins & apparently can be used to make a rather good jelly
This one is common at the coast area in the Netherlands and its name is duindoorn meaning dunethorn.

And the Google translation, when I did some further research, led me to Rhamnus cathartica too.
Purging Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathertica) prefers chaky soils & is thorny
This species seems to be quite common in forest all over Europe. I just didn't know the name. The Dutch name is wegedoorn or vuildoorn. Meaning road thorn or dirty thorn. But the information I found is not clear and I think people posted wrong (contradictory) info too.

Kraai
IMG_3541.jpeg

Ini mini
IMG_3540.jpeg

Someone needs to be invited to Thanksgiving dinner. They are eating me out of house and home View attachment 3685862
With the price of Turkey in the grocery stores, you could clean up this week and just before Christmas. ;-) They are gorgeous! They look to have some Narragansett, but ofc my eyes are not to be trusted.

How successful is the breeding? I have read that turkeys are only about 60-70% successful, and broad breasted breeds are almost impossible to breed naturally, but we are only in the discovery phase of the process and we are looking to see what we can find locally or in a 50 mile radius.

With the price of Turkey in the grocery stores, you could clean up this week and just before Christmas. ;-) They are gorgeous! They look to have some Narragansett, but ofc my eyes are not to be trusted.

How successful is the breeding? I have read that turkeys are only about 60-70% successful, and broad breasted breeds are almost impossible to breed naturally, but we are only in the discovery phase of the process and we are looking to see what we can find locally or in a 50 mile radius.
Oh Meijer grocery has turkeys 59 cents a lb, limit one. Mine are probably 8 or 9 dollars a lb. Not cost effective and no one wants to pay that. LOL
I started with a pair, a semi color semi Narragansett hen and a calico or sweetgrass tom in 2017. Kept all the girls for a couple years, now I sell the extras in the spring.

I give a dz or 2 to a fellow byc member to put in her incubator. Usually all develop. Not all hatch though.
I loose a lot of poults to predators, weather and coccidia.

Oh Meijer grocery has turkeys 59 cents a lb, limit one. Mine are probably 8 or 9 dollars a lb. Not cost effective and no one wants to pay that. LOL
I started with a pair, a semi color semi Narragansett hen and a calico or sweetgrass tom in 2017. Kept all the girls for a couple years, now I sell the extras in the spring.

I give a dz or 2 to a fellow byc member to put in her incubator. Usually all develop. Not all hatch though.
You could get that here, in the S.F. bay area. My sister is bringing the turkey this year, and she looked for pasture raised. That price is right on target. People are becoming aware that it's the humane thing to do.

I have heard, in a lot of areas, people need a second mortgage to get a turkey. ;-) but I figure that they will go on sale, but we will get ours locally, if we do turkey. I may just do tamales and snacky foods. With the kids grown, but no grand children, holidays have lost the luster. It is a lot of fuss and stress, baking all week, cooking all day. My husband is English and really loves his roast dinners though..lol

Sweetgrass are pretty broad breasted, although I did find this:
that say that conservationists are working, through selective breeding, to restore the heritage version. :) They are stunning birds, but I doubt we will find anyone breeding around here, but I am going to keep an eye out, when we get closer. There are a few that say they have the Narragansetts though. I need to learn more before we do anything.

I have heard, in a lot of areas, people need a second mortgage to get a turkey. ;-) but I figure that they will go on sale, but we will get ours locally, if we do turkey. I may just do tamales and snacky foods. With the kids grown, but no grand children, holidays have lost the luster. It is a lot of fuss and stress, baking all week, cooking all day. My husband is English and really loves his roast dinners though..lol

Sweetgrass are pretty broad breasted, although I did find this:
that say that conservationists are working, through selective breeding, to restore the heritage version. :) They are stunning birds, but I doubt we will find anyone breeding around here, but I am going to keep an eye out, when we get closer. There are a few that say they have the Narragansetts though. I need to learn more before we do anything.
Lots I don't agree with in that video LOL
Yes the USA are from what he said. There are records in Europe from the 1800s of that color by a different name.
If a royal palm is bred to a bourbon red there could be a calico offspring, which can produce sweetgrass and tri color palm. Sweetgrass will breed true, the calico doesn't.

Porter rare heritage turkeys is the USA guy for information and poults of unusual varieties.
https://porterturkeys.com/Varieties-c153176750

Back
Top Bottom