Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

You could get that here, in the S.F. bay area. My sister is bringing the turkey this year, and she looked for pasture raised. That price is right on target. People are becoming aware that it's the humane thing to do.
Have an order in w a local farm for 3 heritage turkeys, 2 regular and 1 they will grind for us for ground turkey. Will probably end up spending $150. The grocery has turkeys for 49c/lb. Can’t bring myself to buy one there…it’s very frustrating though.

Have an order in w a local farm for 3 heritage turkeys, 2 regular and 1 they will grind for us for ground turkey. Will probably end up spending $150. The grocery has turkeys for 49c/lb. Can’t bring myself to buy one there…it’s very frustrating though.
19 cents a lb ....tempting
Screenshot_20231118-154226.png

Lots I don't agree with in that video LOL
Yes the USA are from what he said. There are records in Europe from the 1800s of that color by a different name.
If a royal palm is bred to a bourbon red there could be a calico offspring, which can produce sweetgrass and tri color palm. Sweetgrass will breed true, the calico doesn't.

Porter rare heritage turkeys is the USA guy for information and poults of unusual varieties.
https://porterturkeys.com/Varieties-c153176750
HAHA , well in typical Yank fashion, nothing that happened before it happened in the US counts..lol

Thanks for that link! The tom's are so flashy! I think I may be very partial to the Harvey Speckled too, and the Holland White as well as the Sweetgrass and Narragansett my husband likes the Chocolate Painted (lol). I may have to get some of each and let nature take it's course. I am thinking, with the amount of sun that we get, the lighter the colour the better (not that they won't have loads of shade.)

I have been trying to find local breeders/farms that may sell live, but it looks like most do not breed their own, opting to buy broad-breasted poults and raise them for 6 months, then sell the meat. :-(

19 cents a lb ....tempting
View attachment 3686637
I struggle with that too, knowing how they are raised and kept makes it hard to justify it. That is why I want a sustainable way to raise my own so they have a great life while they live. I haven't eaten chicken since I have learned about how inhumane their conditions are. The ones that we are raising now are strictly pets that provide eggs. We are working toward becoming totally self-sufficient, at least as far as our food sources go. At least we know what we are getting.

I struggle with that too, knowing how they are raised and kept makes it hard to justify it. That is why I want a sustainable way to raise my own so they have a great life while they live. I haven't eaten chicken since I have learned about how inhumane their conditions are. The ones that we are raising now are strictly pets that provide eggs. We are working toward becoming totally self-sufficient, at least as far as our food sources go. At least we know what we are getting.
Yes I don't like how commercial animals are raised. I was getting eggs, chicken and turkey at the farmers market . Thinking I could save money and have a retirement hobby I got chickens for eggs. Decided since I wasn't saving any money I would hatch for meat. Figured since I'm losing money anyway I might as well get turkeys..... :gig
But the taste is better than the tractor birds and I know they had a good life.... and one bad day

Yes I don't like how commercial animals are raised. I was getting eggs, chicken and turkey at the farmers market . Thinking I could save money and have a retirement hobby I got chickens for eggs. Decided since I wasn't saving any money I would hatch for meat. Figured since I'm losing money anyway I might as well get turkeys..... :gig
But the taste is better than the tractor birds and I know they had a good life.... and one bad day
The funny thing with the chickens, I only occasionally eat eggs, I was never a big egg eater, but my husband loves eggs, and my parents eat a lot of eggs. So I thought, if nothing else, we would be able give eggs to my parents to help them out too, but my parents don't like "Fresh eggs", they prefer store bought. I don't get it, because our fresh eggs taste a million times better. *sigh The neighbors love them though, so we give them 4 dozen and they grew some different veg in their garden and shared those items with us, so it works out.

For me, the chickens are therapy. I love sitting with them and watching them do their chicken things and the little cooing and trilling washes away my stress. So it is cheaper and healthier than alternatives.

Rooster (cockerel) observation I would like to share.

Background: the two boys are about 9 months old, from the same hatching, raised by a brooder, no broody hen. The other cockerels in the hatch were rehomed a few months ago, so it's just been the two, plus 7 pullets. They're in a hoop coop, 16'x8', have had only a couple mild altercations. Joel is head roo, Samuel is unobtrusive, quiet, though I have seen him mate when there's an opportunity. I call him roo in the queue.

One afternoon this week I was sitting in the run, offering fresh greens from the gardens to the pullets, though both boys did grab a couple beakfuls in the melee.

Samuel grabbed a beakfuls of leaf, and Joel, who was next to him, lowered his head and stared at Samuel. Samuel dropped the leaf, kept his head where it was, a little higher than Joel's. Joel seemed to be transfixed, Samuel appeared unwilling to engage. At that point I waved the remains of the leaf between them and they broke off.

I am not as experienced as many of you here, but I thought that Joel was just expressing his dominance over Samuel, who was not interested in a confrontation.

What do you think?
:pop
Yep, and as Perris notes, hens often do this too. If the junior hen doesn't eventually back off, she'll sometimes get an annoyed peck to the head.

For me, the chickens are therapy. I love sitting with them and watching them do their chicken things and the little cooing and trilling washes away my stress. So it is cheaper and healthier than alternatives.
I also love sitting and visiting with my birds, they make me laugh, give me joy. And occasionally eggs :rolleyes: ;):hmm

I :love eggs, especially scrambled, so does my husband. But for a few years now I've had issues eating them. A couple years ago a coworker started offering me eggs from her backyard flock and I had NO problems after eating those! Once she retired and moved away I had to buy expensive "organic" eggs, so I am hoping my girls produce enough for my personal use.

Tax:
IMG_20231118_153023383~2.jpg
Joel, Boss Roo Extraordinaire

Back
Top Bottom