Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Some tax due from me I think; so here's Betws, 15 weeks old today (and Janeka is still with them!) She's turned out as another little Venka-clone :love
Betws 15 wks.JPG

Overdue tax and the story of Dusty's injury recovery, hatch, and new little frizzle baby...

IMG_20231119_072633.jpg

Mum Dusty and her chick, Slash.

Dusty has been through a rough time, but now she's in a happier state. About 8 weeks ago, she got badly injured in a cockerel gang mating pile-on. All of the other hens escaped pretty unscathed, but because Dusty was still mothering a pair of chicks that were six weeks old at the time, she hesitated to run away and got caught up in the frenzy. Her back had a deep puncture and gash under one wing that needed successive cleanings, disinfection, and most of all time to heal without getting reopened.

In this thread, you can see pictures of the injury and how I was able to successfully get the infection under control. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is-an-antibiotic-needed-graphic-pics.1602282/

I was most concerned with the effects of keeping her away from mating that would re-open the healing wound --meaning she would have to be by herself most of the time as all the other hens naturally want to be with the males. So when Dusty exhibited broody behavior soon after resuming to lay (when the two chicks she reared were only 7 weeks) I figured that letting her sit and brood would be a good way for her to get the healing time she needed without getting bored and depressed. And when I gave her eggs to set, she indeed took to them right away and was content to sit.

But it's a bad time of year for hatching here right now -- hot and humid days, chilly and rainy nights, lots of thunder and lightening, and there were two minor earthquakes during her sit. I wasn't really invested in getting chicks -- I just wanted Dusty to be occupied. If some hatched, even better, she could get even more time to heal while mothering.

The hatch -- as I could have predicted based on the pretty extreme climate variability -- was messy and staggered. One chick hatched early on day 20 and died the next day (I'm guessing umbilical infection or organs not developed properly). Two eggs showed no movement and appeared to going bad. And then late on Day 22, a little mini Dusty emerged from the only egg in the clutch that was hers. I had actually given her this egg as a long shot because I was trying to keep her from getting mounted while injured. But Lucio did manage to grab her once when I let her forage, and I guess once was enough!

IMG_20231114_174648.jpg

The survivor chick at one week old, just after eating a big cache of small beetles mama dug out from under a fallen tree branch.

IMG_20231120_072804.jpg

Here's the chick this morning at 14 days old. The chirapa/frizzle feathering is much more obvious.

IMG_20231113_125902.jpg

Mama photo bombing.

IMG_20231114_174456.jpg

Warming up.

Anyway, I name chicks when then show some personality. And this little one had personality from go. Named after Saul Hudson, aka Slash, the brilliant lead guitarist of one of my fave bands ever.

tumblr_6e5a7b923c0fef6637b5f988b257ccd6_323d6480_1280.jpg

Slash. Definitely a frizzle.

Overdue tax and the story of Dusty's injury recovery, hatch, and new little frizzle baby...

View attachment 3687619

Dusty has been through a rough time, but now she's in a happier state. About 8 weeks ago, she got badly injured in a cockerel gang mating pile-on. All of the other hens escaped pretty unscathed, but because Dusty was still mothering a pair of chicks that were six weeks old at the time, she hesitated to run away and got caught up in the frenzy. Her back had a deep puncture and gash under one wing that needed successive cleanings, disinfection, and most of all time to heal without getting reopened.

In this thread, you can see pictures of the injury and how I was able to successfully get the infection under control. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is-an-antibiotic-needed-graphic-pics.1602282/

I was most concerned with the effects of keeping her away from mating that would re-open the healing wound --meaning she would have to be by herself most of the time as all the other hens naturally want to be with the males. So when Dusty exhibited broody behavior soon after resuming to lay (when the two chicks she reared were only 7 weeks) I figured that letting her sit and brood would be a good way for her to get the healing time she needed without getting bored and depressed. And when I gave her eggs to set, she indeed took to them right away and was content to sit.

But it's a bad time of year for hatching here right now -- hot and humid days, chilly and rainy nights, lots of thunder and lightening, and there were two minor earthquakes during her sit. I wasn't really invested in getting chicks -- I just wanted Dusty to be occupied. If some hatched, even better, she could get even more time to heal while mothering.

The hatch -- as I could have predicted based on the pretty extreme climate variability -- was messy and staggered. One chick hatched early on day 20 and died the next day (I'm guessing umbilical infection or organs not developed properly). Two eggs showed no movement and appeared to going bad. And then late on Day 22, a little mini Dusty emerged from the only egg in the clutch that was hers. I had actually given her this egg as a long shot because I was trying to keep her from getting mounted while injured. But Lucio did manage to grab her once when I let her forage, and I guess once was enough!

View attachment 3687627
The survivor chick at one week old, just after eating a big cache of small beetles mama dug out from under a fallen tree branch.

View attachment 3687629
Here's the chick this morning at 14 days old. The chirapa/frizzle feathering is much more obvious.

View attachment 3687630
Mama photo bombing.

View attachment 3687633
Warming up.

Anyway, I name chicks when then show some personality. And this little one had personality from go. Named after Saul Hudson, aka Slash, the brilliant lead guitarist of one of my fave bands ever.

View attachment 3687632
well that's a win:win for Dusty - recovery and a chick! :love

View attachment 3687619

View attachment 3687627

View attachment 3687629

View attachment 3687630
Mama photo bombing.

View attachment 3687633
Warming up.

View attachment 3687632
Go Dusty! Slash is so cute. (The chick, that is) I hope it's a girl, so you don't have more cockerel drama. A frizzle or two, on my long wish list. Maybe someday.

A frizzle or two, on my long wish list
With the hope of not completely opening Pandora's box, I want to say that my view on weirdly feathered chickens has changed drastically since getting one. I cannot really speak for he other genes, but the silkied gene is a struggle. Ursula constantly gets wet, even with a million places for her to take cover in. Once I even had to bring her in the house just to get her dry. She's spent many nights in the apothecary. It doesn't help that she is almost attracted to water. If there's a water source, she'll find a way to dunk herself in it. The frizzle gene is not one that I'm particularly interested in, but I did want one or two bantam NNs back in the day. Now I'm seriously reconsidering

Everyone is different. It would depend on the family. None of us here will be working on the holiday.

I work at a university, it pretty much shuts down for the entire week. :rolleyes: Grocery stores are often open until noonish. Some people have dinner later in the afternoon, others watch football, or do both.

When I was growing up (1960s and 70s) everything was closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, except the hospital.

I worked in a hospital most of my working life before retirement.

I worked a lot of holidays and we would have dinner after I got home.

With the hope of not completely opening Pandora's box, I want to say that my view on weirdly feathered chickens has changed drastically since getting one. I cannot really speak for he other genes, but the silkied gene is a struggle. Ursula constantly gets wet, even with a million places for her to take cover in. Once I even had to bring her in the house just to get her dry. She's spent many nights in the apothecary. It doesn't help that she is almost attracted to water. If there's a water source, she'll find a way to dunk herself in it. The frizzle gene is not one that I'm particularly interested in, but I did want one or two bantam NNs back in the day. Now I'm seriously reconsidering
You know my stance on frizzle naked necks.

It's Dusty's sweet temperament and mothering skills I'm more interested in propagating than frizzle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom