Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They do.... I had bottom third of a bag of mash that was mainly soybeans. Gassy assy birds :sick
They definitely fart. You haven't heard that, @Perris? Chicken farts are adorable.

They burp, too. Though I think I've only heard a good, Barney Gumble-style belch once, while carrying an angry cockerel around to avoid being mauled by him, so it may have been amplified by his mood and how his crop was resting on my arm.

Can't say which plant or treat causes it. Our chickens have never eaten beans. I was always under the impression that legumes are toxic to chickens. Not sure where that info came from.:idunno As always, plenty to learn from this thread.

BarneyBrrp.png

Hi folks,

I want to say thank you to @RoyalChick @Perris @ManueB (regulars on this thread) for your kind comments regarding my hen Rusty's sudden onset of illness two days ago. She likely has a reproductive infection triggered by molting (and laying the whole time she's been molting :(), but it could be something else. But definitely an infection, by the smell and symptoms. I'm treating her with the help of experienced keepers @TwoCrows @Wyorp Rock @coach723 @azygous who are always there to lend their knowledge and support. The updates about her condition and treatment are posted here if anyone else wants to follow
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-other-details-provided-please-help.1605170/

I had just recently been feeling so happy and grateful to have a fundamentally healthy tribe -- active, roaming, breeding, laying, hatching, fighting, raising chicks -- all the good stuff, finally, after years of struggling with the sick hens in my first group. I guess this illness of Rusty's is a reminder to stay vigilant; anything can happen at any time.

I've been going to bed late after Rusty's last dose of medicine and waking up six hours later to give her another, plus fretting overnight of course, so I'm exhausted. But Rusty is fighting this off, and I will always help a fighter if I can.

To cheer me up, mum Dusty and her chick Slash spent the early morning with me in the kitchen, preening each other.

Here's to chickens and all the sorrow and grief and worry and joy and love and community they
bring...💚

View attachment 3692499
View attachment 3692500
View attachment 3692501
Sorry you're going through that! Sending good thoughts for Rusty's fast recovery.

I was always under the impression that legumes are toxic to chickens. Not sure where that info came from.:idunno
The farmer that made the mash I used to feed, said his machine that proceeded the soybeans heated and ground them. Raw soybeans are what I had heard were a problem for poultry.

Hi folks,

I want to say thank you to @RoyalChick @Perris @ManueB (regulars on this thread) for your kind comments regarding my hen Rusty's sudden onset of illness two days ago. She likely has a reproductive infection triggered by molting (and laying the whole time she's been molting :(), but it could be something else. But definitely an infection, by the smell and symptoms. I'm treating her with the help of experienced keepers @TwoCrows @Wyorp Rock @coach723 @azygous who are always there to lend their knowledge and support. The updates about her condition and treatment are posted here if anyone else wants to follow
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-other-details-provided-please-help.1605170/

I had just recently been feeling so happy and grateful to have a fundamentally healthy tribe -- active, roaming, breeding, laying, hatching, fighting, raising chicks -- all the good stuff, finally, after years of struggling with the sick hens in my first group. I guess this illness of Rusty's is a reminder to stay vigilant; anything can happen at any time.

I've been going to bed late after Rusty's last dose of medicine and waking up six hours later to give her another, plus fretting overnight of course, so I'm exhausted. But Rusty is fighting this off, and I will always help a fighter if I can.

To cheer me up, mum Dusty and her chick Slash spent the early morning with me in the kitchen, preening each other.

Here's to chickens and all the sorrow and grief and worry and joy and love and community they
bring...💚

View attachment 3692499
View attachment 3692500
View attachment 3692501
I just finished catching up on Rusty's thread. I'm glad to see she's improving. Slash is adorable.

@Perris Just been working out a few numbers regarding the feremented feed and I noticed that buckwheat, which you mentioned you were going to try, is high in Lysine. Provided it's of reasonable quality, your looking at between 4% and 6% Lysine which with a decent wheat should give you close to or better than the commercial feeds ratios.
All the allotment lot eat fermented buckwheat without problems.

Split shift today. They got an hour and a half out in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. I had a meeting mid day and missed my lunch.
Chilly and damp of the uninspiring nature the British weather in infamous for.

I make a porridge for breakfast most mornings. 200ml of whole milk, 30 grams of porridge oats, 12 grams of organic plain whey powder and 5 chopped dates.
I think I should try this out on the chickens. Protein problems solved.:lol:

Carbons guts were bad overnight again. It seems to come and go. It's not good.
Not sure what more I can do for her.

Mow is spending more time with Carbon, Fret and Henry while Dig explores, dodges the crows and chases the doves; not to mention digging of course. I've seen Dig following Henry more often while the females group together. There has been some play fighting between Dig and Mow but it's been very restrained compared to some siblings I've watched.

PB272900.JPG
PB272903.JPG
PB272899.JPG
PB272898.JPG
PB272908.JPG

Back
Top Bottom