Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Which confusingly is not what is normally used to make treacle tart.
indeed. I think those two serve as an early lesson in the vagaries of processed food nomenclature, since the tart (which, as you indicate, is made of syrup, not treacle) is generally liked by the young, but treacle, should they try it, is an acquired taste, to such an extent that some never acquire it! :p

Paprika's clutch are 12 weeks old today, and last night for the first time they all slept on the roost; no poo in the nest boxes. They’ve had a coop to themselves as a family this last week, since I noticed Paprika was setting them the example and had moved onto it – I’ve had to chase Eve out a couple of times, as she attempted to crash that coop and bully them at bed time – and each night more of them have moved out of the nest and onto the roost.

I can understand people wanting to get chicks out of the nest box asap to avoid poo in there, and some no doubt take pride in having precocious chicks like precocious kids, but 12 weeks is an example of how long it takes when a very competent broody is left to raise her chicks without interference from people. Of course other flock members like Eve may have delayed things.
All of my broodies took their chicks up to roost at around 8 weeks without any interference from me. But sometimes they will still cover the chicks with a wing while roosting and the chicks all try to get the spot right next to mom. Lately there's only been two or three chicks in a brood so it's fine.

Dusty, my black chirapa, is an interesting case. She took her two chicks (now both 4mo old cockerels) up to roost at 8 weeks. They spent two nights on the roost. But she herself likes to nest on the floor. So those two chicks went back down to the floor with her, until she went broody again two weeks later and kicked them out (she had already gone back to laying just six weeks after hatching them).

When the cockerels moved over to the main coop (by themselves because I locked them out of the broody coop), they roosted without help from me.

I guess one lesson from mom was enough.

IMG_20231205_081734.jpg

Dusty and 3 week old Slash out foraging and the two cockerels close by.

Last edited:
Well, I think, by now, you all know how I feel about 99% of the human population. It is just sad, to see so many kids growing up without ever getting dirt under their nails, skinned knees, building imaginations by inventing imaginary scenarios for amazing adventures, never learning how to try, how to be responsible. That is why I prefer animals. :)

When I was a child we played in the mountains behind our house.

We used the moss to make fairy houses.

We made mud pies and ate them.

We waded in the creek, caught crawdads and seined for minnows.

Of course, there were injuries as I stepped on a broken jar and cut the bottom of my foot from one side to the other.

When I was a child we played in the mountains behind our house.

We used the moss to make fairy houses.

We made mud pies and ate them.

We waded in the creek, caught crawdads and seined for minnows.

Of course, there were injuries as I stepped on a broken jar and cut the bottom of my foot from one side to the other.
But the best childhood ever! Think about how much life that kids today are missing out on, it is really sad. Most kids do not get much of a childhood these days. :-(

I used to love digging to see what I could find, I had a decent collection of old medicine bottles, in the dark blue and green glass, really thick glass. I was amazed that so many survived.

We were out of the house as soon as the sun was up and rarely back in until forced at dark. We ate fresh veg out of the garden or wild blackberries, raspberries or gooseberries.

We built forts with fallen branches and junk that people dumped in the woods.

I rescued so many injured birds, turtles, frogs, etc..

I never really outgrew it.. When my boys were little, I would go out and make mud pies with them. When we were in Phoenix, we had a hail storm, so we had ice and tons of mud, my ex came home to find me hosing the boys off on the back patio, they were down to their underoos, because we had mudball fight..lol. (mud in our ears, nose, hair, we were covered..lol) He was not best pleased, but too bad. When we went up to Sedona for the Christmas lights, there was snow in the mountains, so we stopped side of the road and made snow angels. They like video games, but prefer, to this day, to be out doing and working with their hands. I still, occasionally, stomp in a puddle to splash my husband..but he is a good sport.

Turning from chicken parenting to human, I would say that single mothers/absent fathers is not just an issue of finances and maintenance, or addiction to the current tech fad, though they both play a role no doubt.

It has long term negative impacts on the kids, and on the mums, and on the dads.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904543/

Lonely old men, single mums, and young people with issues of all sorts are all connected. They used to say it takes a village to raise a child. Nowadays we seem to think one person can do it on their own. Progress eh? We're so clever eh?
I think there has been an overall intentional movement to dismantle the family unit. They want everyone focused on working and paying taxes and buying stuff to keep making money to empower government and their puppet masters. Progress is not always positive.

What I can say, is that if the parent that is present, is really dedicated to their children, it can minimize the damage and there are certain situations where being a single parent is the better choice between 2 evils.

I think there has been an overall intentional movement to dismantle the family unit. They want everyone focused on working and paying taxes and buying stuff to keep making money to empower government and their puppet masters. Progress is not always positive.

What I can say, is that if the parent that is present, is really dedicated to their children, it can minimize the damage and there are certain situations where being a single parent is the better choice between 2 evils.
I don't have kids. I have worked for a few years with juvenile offenders. While I also dislike so much about humans, I won't judge anyone raising children, without knowing their exact situation. It has become a hard thing to do in today's world. And sometimes people have circumstances in their life which make them unable to do it better even if they try.
Maybe it's not a related issue but governments who blame so strongly parents for not raising their children properly close their eyes on situations where thousand children die from poverty and war.
IMG_20230530_133842.jpg

Back
Top Bottom