Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

A happy and healthy 2024 to you all.
And more peace in this world for humans …
IMG_3706.jpeg

and animals.
IMG_3713.jpeg
(2x Banksy)

Some keepers have seen this and think the rooster is about to harm the chicks. To me and many others who observe their chickens and have males this is true imprinting until someone can come up with a more plausible explanation. It would seem that in this behaviour information is passed from the chick to the rooster and may work the other direction. Once this "imprinting" is done the relationship between the rooster and the chicks and the mother changes; it's almost impossible to describe how.
What information is passed in these exchanges? It would be really interesting to know. If it is just dad showing whose boss I think he's wasting his time. It's a bit like telling a six month old baby "I'm boss". It will probably giggle and fart a bit, but won't have a clue what you're on about.

So, this is one of those not often observed behaviours that we know very little about.
In the picture of Henry and Dig I posted the behaviour could be mistaken for a similar kind of imprinting but frankly looking at the them and having thought about it I think it more likely Henry was trying to get Dig to groom him.:D
If one cant find a
Seems, from what I’ve read, that people too easily ascribe aggressive behaviour to roosters. When I found my (not so little now) fluffball & tried to put him back with his flock he tried to snuggle under a rooster who gave him a tap on his head to send him on his way. A second rooster made the “I found food” call and little Bub-bub ran over and started to eat. That rooster lowered his head and stared at this strange chick for a few seconds and let him eat. Unfortunately none of the hens wanted to adopt him and his nest mate (in a different run) didn’t hatch for another week hence his human foster “mum” took him on as a 2 day old rescue chick.
It’s always entertaining and educational observing his and his girls interacting and he is very tolerant of tiny humans & my 95 yr old mum only giving other adults the foot peck to let us know who is boss. :lau

Here’s his nest mate as tax. He landed on his claws with the big girls - mum is a Welsummer, possibly the one in the picture

1704099736186.jpeg

Memes, almost impossible to escape them if one uses the internet.
I get sent quite a few and these are my picks from last year.

Just love this bit of dark humour from a funeral directors.
324079015_1486461361878324_5733303514249102524_n.jpg

Lots of animal memes but this one I though was special.
Screen-Shot-2023-01-09-at-8.jpg

Sign of the times. It's that slightly irritated look in the frantic messaging that did it for me with this one. Are people really so obsessed that they text on the toilet?
478b91662701faf0861319532d4e012af25a34e5b87e4339e69c050c47045b72.gif

Memes, almost impossible to escape them if one uses the internet.
I get sent quite a few and these are my picks from last year.

Just love this bit of dark humour from a funeral directors.
View attachment 3716458

Lots of animal memes but this one I though was special.
View attachment 3716456

Sign of the times. It's that slightly irritated look in the frantic messaging that did it for me with this one. Are people really so obsessed that they text on the toilet?
View attachment 3716457

I love the pictures.

It's amazing what people will do these days.

Back
Top Bottom