Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yes! Thanks for the explanation and the huge compliment. My avatar name says it all.
Started to learn English when I was 12. Was not very good in it and certainly couldn’t write it properly for many years.
These last years being active on BYC helped me enormously. Autocorrect and Translate do the rest. Still not perfect but I hope good enough not to get annoyed.

PS My avatar name has a double meaning. I have Dutch and I am Dutch. Sort of double Dutch 🤣.

Bantam Dutch and RIR tax:
View attachment 3737232
Ik snap t! 🤣 🌷 🌷 🌷
Double Dutch??

:eek:

Tax:

IMG_20240130_170811012~2.jpg

Samuel checking out those fluffy butts!

Three hours today. Grey and chilly.
Everybody was hungry when I arrived so I assume C didn't leave them enough food to allow for breakfast. They rattled through 300 grams of feed and went off to forage.
That's Dig heading off to deal with a fox that slid under the gate a moment earlier.
13811-b8bf2b7034744e246c9fb291e2f7f816.gif

P1310192.JPG

They all stayed close to me until going to roost after that.
P1310189.JPG
P1310191.JPG
P1310195.JPG

Last edited:
Hopefully Dig's bravado does not result in him becoming fox dinner.
I did write that my priority was Henry and the hens. That hasn't changed. If Dig becomes a problem then he'll be my dinner. If he doesn't have the sense to avoid a confrontation with a fox that was minding it's own business and not posing any threat to the hens then the fox can have him. There is bravery and then there's stupidity.
The chances of Henry and Dig being able to live together without major conflict are small. I let Fret sit and hatch, not because I wanted chicks but because she wanted chicks and I have always tried to support any hen (within reason) that wants to hatch. It's one of those essential behaviours that I believe all hens have a right to.

If these were rangers then like every other creature, they take their chances. The smart ones survive and that's how one builds a sustainable group with good behavioural genes. I don't much care what they look like.
Dig has the possible advantage in young life to learn with relative safety. Most rangers don't get that. There isn't a lot of margin for error when chickens range.
What happens in the best case is they pay attention to the seniors and survive.

Dig currently isn't paying enough attention. He didn't even look at what Henry did which was to move to safety (close to me) and track the fox out of danger range.

Back
Top Bottom