Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

if you lived here they'd be after you for £150+ per annum; using the website counts like watching TV, so they'd (subcontracted out to Capita?) come down on Shad like a ton of bricks. Listening to the radio bizarrely doesn't count - for now.
Interesting. I didn’t know using the website counted as watching TV. Is that really included in the law?
I do have some experience. They used to go around with vans picking up signals. Many decades ago I remember you didn’t have to have a TV license if you had a TV but didn’t use it to pick up broadcast signal or some such. There was a court case about that I vaguely remember.

Edited to add:
Golly. You are absolutely right. Since 1991. So there must have been an updating to account for streaming services. I think my personal experience may be older than that. Or more recently but before it all got serious.

Ummm I watch BBC stuff on PBS (public broadcasting service) in USA. PBS is free to watch with an antenna. They have pledge drives where they ask viewers to donate. You can get a gift of DVD and books with a certain amount.
Any antenna TV is currently free. They are talking about scrambling some signals you would have to pay for.

Ummm I watch BBC stuff on PBS (public broadcasting service) in USA. PBS is free to watch with an antenna. They have pledge drives where they ask viewers to donate. You can get a gift of DVD and books with a certain amount.
Any antenna TV is currently free. They are talking about scrambling some signals you would have to pay for.
When antenna TV becomes a pay-for service, I'm going to rip that damn TV out. We had sattelite for several years, and finally I told hubby, "$165 a FN MONTH for TV??? NO MORE!!!" I could totally live without "the idiot box."

TV rant tax:
Pip, who knows that dirt is more interesting to look at than "the squawk box."
IMG_E5756.JPG

If the source is generally sensible, I would hazard a guess that what lies beneath is the observation that what is usually written off as infertility (as common among wild birds as domesticated) is sometimes early embryo failure. They can be distinguished under the microscope, but people don't often bother and just write the losses off - which are commonly around 10% but can be as high as 80-90% - as infertility.

Actually there has been very, very little work done on female infertility in birds.

Interesting topic. It is my understanding that certain breeds (serama included) have a higher in ovo mortality rate than other breeds. Would be interested to know more about this topic

When the USA upgraded all the broadcast stations to digital it was a horrific mess. If you didn't have a new TV you had to get a converter box. The channel signals are easily disrupted by weather, wind (trees moving?) and then the programs become pixilated and unwatchable.

Lots of progress there. :hmm

But... IT'S FREE! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom