Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

View attachment 3763758Google talk tax.

My chickens have a dull life without a few roosters to keep them busy an bewildered.

After an hour scratching and ‘yummie’ food searching in the drizzle, the oldies love the sit on the chicken bench.

BTW, google is not perfect. It doesn’t even know yummie is a word at all.

In the Netherlands we say lekker to express lots of things to enjoy. Remember it if you ever visit our country. The Germans adapted the word lekker because they didn’t have a word in their vocabulary like it. 👅
My bike's brand is Lekker :)

I don't have a photo handy but here's their website.

Two and a half hours today. The sun shone and while it did it was almost warmish. Mow had eithe rpicked off or knocked off an inch long strip of scales on the front of one of her legs. Looks a right mess. Cleaned it up with Chlorhexedine and spread an antiseptic salve over the patch.:he Her feet wnet from okayish to terrible in a few days. I wasn't on it fast enough.
Everybody got out. I did some more rubbish clearing and a bit of digging on my plot whle the chickens went foraging.
We discovered this lot under the weeds and brambles. Nials and screw sticking up and a rats nest underneath.
P3050369.JPG

P3050368.JPG

P3050370.JPG

I pay one of the providers in NL 7,95 euro /month to have a choice of about 40 TV channels and video on command with WIFI. For 2 euro’s more I can top it up with 5 BBC channels and a 5 more like History channel and Euro news.

It just made me wonder why you English people have to pay so much.
Here in the US? We pay because we have been sold and told that there is so much "Must See TV" that we can't miss. For people out of the US, yeah, they use that phrase "Must see tv."

Why do so many people pay it? Because they don't realize how many other things there are to do with their time! Read, write, knit, cook, clean, garden, sing, walk the dog, visit the chickens, and, dare I say it! THINK!

I said a big fat FU! and what the antenna won't pull in, TFB.

Rant tax:
Pip, on my lap today while I visited the chickens.
IMG_E5805.JPG

Two and a half hours today. The sun shone and while it did it was almost warmish. Mow had eithe rpicked off or knocked off an inch long strip of scales on the front of one of her legs. Looks a right mess. Cleaned it up with Chlorhexedine and spread an antiseptic salve over the patch.:he Her feet wnet from okayish to terrible in a few days. I wasn't on it fast enough.
Everybody got out. I did some more rubbish clearing and a bit of digging on my plot whle the chickens went foraging.
We discovered this lot under the weeds and brambles. Nials and screw sticking up and a rats nest underneath.
View attachment 3764170

View attachment 3764171

View attachment 3764169
Since Mow is the intrepid adventuring forager, could she have come in contact with or ingested something that is causing her scaling issues? I believe that you mentioned before that it wasn't scaly leg mites, could it be gout? I do a lot of reading, and of course, not all so-called experts are truly expert, but something I read stated that gout in chickens could be mistaken as leg mites. I found this article: https://poultrydvm.com/condition/gout, with a cursory search, so you may find better information out there.

Here in the US? We pay because we have been sold and told that there is so much "Must See TV" that we can't miss. For people out of the US, yeah, they use that phrase "Must see tv."

Why do so many people pay it? Because they don't realize how many other things there are to do with their time! Read, write, knit, cook, clean, garden, sing, walk the dog, visit the chickens, and, dare I say it! THINK!

I said a big fat FU! and what the antenna won't pull in, TFB.

Rant tax:
Pip, on my lap today while I visited the chickens.
View attachment 3764215
We use Roku, and have FUBO TV, pretty much only for football (soccer :oops:), rugby and cricket. We subscribe to AcornTV and BritBox for old Brit TV shows that I occasionally love to binge, and a couple of the free streaming services have old Westerns when the mood hits.

Between work and animals, I don't have a lot of time for "must seeTV", so If I want lazy TV time, I am pretty choosey. We rarely watch TV shows or movies, much newer than the '70s. :)

Since Mow is the intrepid adventuring forager, could she have come in contact with or ingested something that is causing her scaling issues? I believe that you mentioned before that it wasn't scaly leg mites, could it be gout? I do a lot of reading, and of course, not all so-called experts are truly expert, but something I read stated that gout in chickens could be mistaken as leg mites. I found this article: https://poultrydvm.com/condition/gout, with a cursory search, so you may find better information out there.
I haven't seen a chicken with gout so I can't rule it out, but looking at internet pictures of chickens with gout it's not like Mow's problem. Her dad has a Scaly Leg Mite problem as did his daughter and Dig is looking probable.
My understanding is gout doesn't raise the scales and Mow's scales are a mess.
I'll bear your possible cause in mind though.

"Must See TV" that we can't miss
I mustn’t, but like to see some programs and films. I watch something most evenings. Sometimes too much like today: all 4 episodes of Alan Bates against the post office.
I suppose everyone has a personal daily or weekly to-do-list of things we must do and like to do. I like to keep cleaning to a minimum, don't knit, don't sing, have no dog, and the other things you mention don’t take up all my time.
Some other time spenders for me are: chicken tv with a cup of coffee or tea in my hand, working, listening to music, shopping, visits, going out, yoga, puzzle games, vacations, sleeping, hiking/walking …

If you can get the itv drama Mr Bates versus the Post Office, see it. It's what got it back in the news, questions in Parliament, honours withdrawn etc.; he has the patience of a saint.
This was just advertised. It's going to be on masterpiece theater PBS starting April 7th.

Three hours today. A lovely day that could have one believing that Spring has finally arrived. Lots of buds and lots of bugs.
Mow's legs looked better today and her walking is more like normal. I've used this on her legs for two days and this evening I used plain Vaseline.
P2190298.JPG

Lyclear is meant for humans to clear mites and lice. I've used it on myself in the past. It's quite a thin cream so it's easier to get on the scales underneath her foot feathers. Tonight her foot feathers are a sticky mess with the Vaseline but I got her feet and lower legs well covered.

Henry is getting less reactive to Digs mating attempts. Carbon even went off with Dig bug hunting at one point.

I'm definitely losing my grip. As I've mentioned, I've been using up the grains etc I bought for the chickens to make meals for me. I've had all sorts of strange combinations fermenting for various recipies. The thing is, the recipies I've been cooking have all turned out far better than I expected. I like eating what I've been making. I made a vegan dish the other day for a friend and that was really good.

I've read what Perris has written about trying out various peas on the chickens and that it took a while before the chickens showed much interest. I've been adding some dried split peas to their feed and while it isn't the first item they go for, they are, or at least some of them are eating the peas. As Perris points out in their article, the peas bump the protein level of the feed up which means there is more room to add other stuff with a lower overall protein level but perhaps with more of a particluar amino acid or vitamins. I'm going to ferment and dry these and see how that goes. If not, I'm in for a lot of soup and stew making.
P3070379.JPG

Yes I know they're expensive.:D

Fret's at it again and when she had a quick bath.
P3060371.JPG
P3060375.JPG

P3060374.JPG
P3060377.JPG
P3060376.JPG
P3060378.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom