Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

:eek: That would be at the high end of summer temperatures here. It's early April for pete's sake.
Another record due to global warming.
Blossoms and leaves šŸƒ about 3 weeks earlier as we use to have.
IMG_4235.jpeg

I took this photo of our blossoming pear tree yesterday. April 6.

We had similar. The boys' tails made them move like sailing dinghies across the lawn
View attachment 3794043
while the girls looked like they were having a blow dry from a hidden hairdresser :D
View attachment 3794044

:eek: That would be at the high end of summer temperatures here. It's early April for pete's sake.
I think the girls look like punk fashion is making a comeback !

I have an anecdote about unwanted cockerels. It ends with a meal, so some of you may find it gruesome and prefer not to read it. I wasn't sure myself what to think.
I live in a very rural small village of 130 people, that has managed to keep it's single class primary school. The school has chickens that live in a run underneath and free range a bit during the day. In september, they were given a broody with four chicks a month old, and two turned out to be cockerels.
Yesterday we had dinner with a friend who is assistant to the schoolteacher, so I asked her about them. She said that about a month ago, the two cockerels started really fighting together and it became clear they wouldn't be able to keep both. The teacher explained that to the children, and said they could choose which cockerel they wanted to keep. The unlucky one could either be rehomed, and they would probably not know what would become of him, or they could eat him : she would dispatch him and cook for them.

The children chose to eat him.

Last time I saw them early February.
IMG_20240407_132606.jpg

It stayed dry for the two and a half hours I spent at the field. Just spat a bit on my way home.
Tried out the new bus route that started today. It takes me from the village by the allotments, right through town and where I get off I'm left with a five minute walk to my flat. It takes about half an hour less time from door to door than the previous fastest bus route.
P4070520.JPG
P4070521.JPG
P4070522.JPG
P4070523.JPG

It stayed dry for the two and a half hours I spent at the field. Just spat a bit on my way home.
Tried out the new bus route that started today. It takes me from the village by the allotments, right through town and where I get off I'm left with a five minute walk to my flat. It takes about half an hour less time from door to door than the previous fastest bus route.View attachment 3794770View attachment 3794768View attachment 3794767View attachment 3794766
Great that it's shorter and 5 minutes to home

EX batts good morning one and all1

Tea is ready.

Temperature is in the 60s and sunny.

Have a great day!
What kind of tea, Ladies-Eight?
You have a great day, too!
Thank you for your faithfulness in offering this sweet greeting every day, without fail! It is appreciated!
:hugs:love

I do not have any ex-battery chickens, actually, although I do love following along with @Shadrach's journey of his experiences with his ... I do, however, have a lovely Golden retriever bitch, now spayed, that DH and I rescued by purchasing her from a breeder.

1000007098.jpg

(Here she was watching a chickadee pluck some of her hair from a rug I had set out to shake.)

She was seriously underweight and over-used, and was obviously not socialized but we are making progress with her. It is both a challenge and a blessing to take other people's misused animals and attempt, through love and patience, to restore them to what they were meant to be.

Tax:

1000007095.jpg

Bird on left is Winnie, a Prairie Bluebell Egger from Hoover's. I think she is beautiful but do not know what to call her color. Is she lavender? ETA: She actually appears almost silver.

Back
Top Bottom