Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

P4080544.JPG
Two and a half hours today. Light rain on and off most of the afternoon.
P4080524.JPG

So, what does one do when the rain is light enough not to seek shelter but persistant enough to make working on the plot or doing jobs around the field unpleasant? Follow Mow around for the afternoon of course. She's not bothered by light rain and it would seem that her brother dig has given up on looking out for her. It was Henry who came out to check on her a few times, and seeing me wandering about close to Mow, went back under the shelter of the coop extension. Mow goes everywhere. The field is one endless gourmet adventure as far as Mow is concerend. She samples anything that looks remotely edible. This does have it's drawbacks because a lot of what is edible in Mow opinion has been planted by plot holders for exactly that reason; it's edible. Most of the plot holders have taken the message on board that if they don't want the chickens, crows and pigeons to sample their prospective crops, and strip the plants they take a particular fancy to, then they need to protect it/them.
Luckily I've only posted a few out of the forty or so pictures I took of Mow's wanderings.
P4080527.JPG
P4080530.JPG
P4080532.JPG
P4080537.JPG
P4080539.JPG
P4080536.JPG
P4080541.JPG

P4080544.JPG

Heading for home.
P4080546.JPG
P4080547.JPG
P4080549.JPG
P4080552.JPG

View attachment 3795785Two and a half hours today. Light rain on and off most of the afternoon.
View attachment 3795790

So, what does one do when the rain is light enough not to seek shelter but persistant enough to make working on the plot or doing jobs around the field unpleasant? Follow Mow around for the afternoon of course. She's not bothered by light rain and it would seem that her brother dig has given up on looking out for her. It was Henry who came out to check on her a few times, and seeing me wandering about close to Mow, went back under the shelter of the coop extension. Mow goes everywhere. The field is one endless gourmet adventure as far as Mow is concerend. She samples anything that looks remotely edible. This does have it's drawbacks because a lot of what is edible in Mow opinion has been planted by plot holders for exactly that reason; it's edible. Most of the plot holders have taken the message on board that if they don't want the chickens, crows and pigeons to sample their prospective crops, and strip the plants they take a particular fancy to, then they need to protect it/them.
Luckily I've only posted a few out of the forty or so pictures I took of Mow's wanderings.
View attachment 3795788View attachment 3795789View attachment 3795786View attachment 3795782View attachment 3795781View attachment 3795780View attachment 3795783
View attachment 3795785

Heading for home.
View attachment 3795779View attachment 3795778View attachment 3795787View attachment 3795777
Love Mow and her attitude!

View attachment 3795785Two and a half hours today. Light rain on and off most of the afternoon.
View attachment 3795790

View attachment 3795788View attachment 3795789View attachment 3795786View attachment 3795782View attachment 3795781View attachment 3795780View attachment 3795783
View attachment 3795785

Heading for home.
View attachment 3795779View attachment 3795778View attachment 3795787View attachment 3795777
Salads galore!

Fipronil is still very much used here for cats and dogs. There was a Fipronil contaminated egg scandal a few years ago which concerned many European countries
there's a wider concern with Fipronil too: https://theconversation.com/pet-fle...washing-into-the-environment-heres-how-226685

So 'pet plans' dish out pesticides as monthly prophylactic treatments (started no doubt in concern for the dispensing firms' profitability rather than the welfare of pets) which turn out to have deleterious effects on their owners, and the environment. Not mentioned in the article is the fact that it's creating resistance to same pesticides in lots of non-target insects as well as the target ones. Short-sighted and stupid.

What kind of tea, Ladies-Eight?
You have a great day, too!
Thank you for your faithfulness in offering this sweet greeting every day, without fail! It is appreciated!
:hugs:love

I drink Twinings Tea although I do have others available.

Yes I have green tea.

I, also, have comfort teas.

Thank you for asking.

I do not have any ex-battery chickens, actually, although I do love following along with @Shadrach's journey of his experiences with his ... I do, however, have a lovely Golden retriever bitch, now spayed, that DH and I rescued by purchasing her from a breeder.

View attachment 3795340
(Here she was watching a chickadee pluck some of her hair from a rug I had set out to shake.)

She was seriously underweight and over-used, and was obviously not socialized but we are making progress with her. It is both a challenge and a blessing to take other people's misused animals and attempt, through love and patience, to restore them to what they were meant to be.

Tax:

View attachment 3795336
Bird on left is Winnie, a Prairie Bluebell Egger from Hoover's. I think she is beautiful but do not know what to call her color. Is she lavender? ETA: She actually appears almost silver.

Maybe a good name for her color would be olivender.

Back
Top Bottom