Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Speaking of broody, on Monday Martha hatched three chicks. The eggs were slipped under her on March 18th. As she kept getting off the nest I had doubts the original eggs were still viable, and added 2 more on March 22nd.

Today Martha hatched the remaining two eggs, three days after the first three. I dub her Magnificent Martha for not giving up once the first chicks hatched!

View attachment 3798831
:love
Is she a Speckled Sussex?

pyrethrum ? Nothing stronger without a prescription from a vet.
that's a traditional remedy and I think it works
It's a long time since we discussed this, but given the impending withdrawal of permethrin, readers might be interested in some info I've dug up recently on pyrethrum.

So, it's "one of the safest and most widely used natural pesticides in the world... Pyrethrins (the active chemicals in the powder) are incredibly potent neurotoxins - just not to humans... We now know how pyrethrum works as an insecticide: pyrethrins bind to important protein passageways (voltage-gated sodium channels) for sodium ions in nerve cells. When pyrethrins bind to these proteins, the nerve cells wildly overfire, causing involuntary muscle contractions, paralysis and even death. This physiological reaction sounds bad, and it is indeed problematic for invertebrates like insects, molluscs, arachnids, and some vertebrates, like fish. But natural pyrethrins are not very toxic to other vertebrates, like humans and birds."
Hence we can use it safely on chickens; humans and birds.
"... A single ancient change in the DNA of insects makes their nerve cells a hundred times more sensitive to pyrethrins than ours. By contrast, cats and fish are sensitive to pyrethrins because they lack one of the liver enzymes we humans use to detoxify pyrethrins." So the cat owners amongst us might want to note, if they didn't know it already, that using pyrethrum may present a risk to their feline friend(s).

Source: N Whiteman Most delicious poison 2023:15-17.

It's a long time since we discussed this, but given the impending withdrawal of permethrin, readers might be interested in some info I've dug up recently on pyrethrum.

So, it's "one of the safest and most widely used natural pesticides in the world... Pyrethrins (the active chemicals in the powder) are incredibly potent neurotoxins - just not to humans... We now know how pyrethrum works as an insecticide: pyrethrins bind to important protein passageways (voltage-gated sodium channels) for sodium ions in nerve cells. When pyrethrins bind to these proteins, the nerve cells wildly overfire, causing involuntary muscle contractions, paralysis and even death. This physiological reaction sounds bad, and it is indeed problematic for invertebrates like insects, molluscs, arachnids, and some vertebrates, like fish. But natural pyrethrins are not very toxic to other vertebrates, like humans and birds."
Hence we can use it safely on chickens; humans and birds.
"... A single ancient change in the DNA of insects makes their nerve cells a hundred times more sensitive to pyrethrins than ours. By contrast, cats and fish are sensitive to pyrethrins because they lack one of the liver enzymes we humans use to detoxify pyrethrins." So the cat owners amongst us might want to note, if they didn't know it already, that using pyrethrum may present a risk to their feline friend(s).

Source: N Whiteman Most delicious poison 2023:15-17.
As someone who shares a home with an elderly cat, thank you!

Slightly off topic, but I'm doing a crochet frizzle chicken for a crochet-along in a group. I might have to alter the pattern a bit and make a cute lil skeksis-kin chicken ❤️❤️
Screenshot_20240328_174912_Adblock Browser Beta.jpg

In other news, I have a second broody. Of course she's the other silkie.
20240409_104519.jpg

Back
Top Bottom