Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think you've done rather well to find homes for those you have.
I started the thread in this link after a particularly bad run.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/

I think sitting on the steps to the vegetable garden with Pinch on my lap listening to the sounds she made while watching her family who she couldn't join was the saddest single moment of my life. I sat on the step and cried.
Thank you for the link. I love reading your chicken stories.

You should be able to view as a guest. I don't have FB and I've just watched it.
IMG_4817.jpeg

Thanks!

I got this screen. Telling me I need an account or have to make a new account. But then when I closed the screen ( x) , the Asseel short popped up.

Tintin and mothers tax:

IMG_4811.jpeg

Last edited:
Three hours today. Warm with occasional bouts of weak sunshine.
Trying to catch up on the work on the plot that got put off due to rain for the last month.
Carbon has been pulling feathers out again. She did the same last year and the year before. It's things like this I find most frustrating about caring for chickens. The big events I deal with quite well but these ongoing minor issues that plague some chickens, scaly leg mite for example, drive me to distraction.

I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the food I buy in the supermarkets, particularly when it comes to packaged fruit and veg. I don't want, or need, or can use up before it goes off, a family pack of something. I don't want the packaging and find it irritating that I can't properly check the contents. There used to be greengrocers. You know, shops that only sold fruit and veg.:old

My nearest International store, there are a few within a mile radius, sells fruit and veg. I get my spices and pastes from them and more recently, I've bought more veg from them. I was late leaving the allotments and consequently late getting home. I bought two peaches from this Internatonal shop on the walk from the bus stop; the shop stays open untill 11pm and much to my surprise they were about the bast peaches I've eaten in the UK.
I'm going down there in the morning to buy some more.:p

Fret seems to be doing okay. She's a bit stiff when I lift her off her eggs but once she's on the ground and taken a few steps she walks okay. Some may recall that she developed a limp last time she sat.

P5080723.JPG
P5080724.JPG
P5080725.JPG

I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the food I buy in the supermarkets, particularly when it comes to packaged fruit and veg. I don't want, or need, or can use up before it goes off, a family pack of something. I don't want the packaging and find it irritating that I can't properly check the contents. There used to be greengrocers. You know, shops that only sold fruit and veg.:old

My nearest International store, there are a few within a mile radius, sells fruit and veg. I get my spices and pastes from them and more recently, I've bought more veg from them. I was late leaving the allotments and consequently late getting home. I bought two peaches from this Internatonal shop on the walk from the bus stop; the shop stays open untill 11pm and much to my surprise they were about the bast peaches I've eaten in the UK.
I'm going down there in the morning to buy some more.:p
I come from a large family. "family size" is way too small.

I wish there were more local places to buy good food, but lots of people will just go to buy pre packaged junk since good food is not a priority for a lot of people.

I come from a large family. "family size" is way too small.

I wish there were more local places to buy good food, but lots of people will just go to buy pre packaged junk since good food is not a priority for a lot of people.
I must confess, I've bought a lot of packaged junk since I've been back in the UK. Things got so bad on the veg front I started buying frozen veg which while fine nutritionally, perhaps even better than the supermarket stuff, does lack taste and the right texture.

I must confess, I've bought a lot of packaged junk since I've been back in the UK. Things got so bad on the veg front I started buying frozen veg which while fine nutritionally, perhaps even better than the supermarket stuff, does lack taste and the right texture.
My family does steamed frozen veg a lot. It does not have the taste that unfrozen has. The veggies also taste steamed.

Mmm, packaged junk is so good though. Hard to resist.

Back
Top Bottom