Share your Sebastopol Goose or Royal Palm Turkey experience with Chickens/Roo's...Good Peacekeepers?

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
I've heard from a few people that Sebastopols are sweet natured, congenial geese that have not only gotten along with chickens, but that they actually intervened with the occasional Rooster squabbles, keeping peace in the barnyard.

Can anyone please share their experience with this scenario? I want to do as much research as possible, ahead of time. I just fell in love with a Sebastopol Goose last Spring, he was so sweet and loving, I have wanted to add 1 or 2 to my flock ever since.

Also, friends had a Royal Palm turkey male, calmly strutting around the yard, that seemed to get along with the ducks, geese, chickens, etc. Is this typical? I thought turkeys might become aggressive, but I have no experience with turkeys.

If anyone can share any info on experience with these birds, it would be greatly appreciated.
I currently have 14 chickens, 3 of them are Roo's, 1 Bar Rock Roo, 2 Ameracauna Roo's, 1 Bar Rock hen, 1 Red Star hen, 9 Ameracauna hens. I have separate pens (next to eacho ther) and coops for the Ameracaunas, but in the Spring I am hoping to let everyone free range together. My Bar Rock Roo can be a tough guy at times. I've heard a goose or turkey will not permit Rooster fights...they are peacekeepers of the barnyard...is that true?

Would adding a few Sebastopols be a good idea if I raise them?
Is adding a Royal Palm expecting too much - should I just focus on geese?

I would offer separate coops for all, with separated protected pens for privacy and safety from predators when I am not home, plus geese would have a kiddie pool of water, but it would be nice to have their doors open for free ranging together when I am outside gardening, too.

Thank you!

Worked for me for the first year. 2nd year about this time heading into geese breeding season, the ganders started terrorizing the chickens. They are all housed together in a 12x12 stall so overcrowding was not an issue. Chickens would not get down off the roosts until the geese were let out. They are now separated as pairs in their own area with separate runs. I do let 2 at a time out with the chickens and they leave them alone. They could care less about what's going on with the chickens. They live to chase my older dog.

I have seven. 3 boys, 4 girls. I started with one goose but she seemed lonely. She was very friendly. I bought 3 chicks from McMurray because she'd been setting for weeks on duds. GREAT mother goose. Now I have a bunch, and they trust me, but will honk the heck out of anyone else. They chase the dog, even threaten my horse, bit a rooster - so in a group they are bullies and will make enough noise to wake the dead if a stray cat runs through the yard! But INDIVIDUALLY they are quite lovely.
I have the best story - my goose and I were bonding before the gosling thing, and I had collected 2 chicken eggs and set them on the small table next to me while I took pics of Yulia. My cat leaped on the table, and finding the eggs he batted one off the table. The goose looked down at the broken egg, up at the cat, then strode a few steps, hissed at and then tried to bite the cat! The remaining egg, she tapped it with her beak, I guess hoping to comfort it!
I love them to death but I think 7 is just a few too many to keep them docile. One gander and two gooses (gooses?) would be a nice trio.
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_4268.JPG

Back
Top Bottom