Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Is anyone else having issues with shipping hatching eggs via USPS Priority Mail (1-3) days taking longer?

In the past few weeks I have shipped off 3 boxes of eggs; two to New York and one to Alabama (from Wisconsin). Not one of them was on time. The first one to NY took 6 business days. The second one 5 business days. The most recent to Alabama is late and they don't even have an estimated date of delivery.

Has anyone checked out shipping via other means, as in Fed Ex or UPS?

Last edited:
Keep in mind it was the Christmas season. I used to work in shipping at a small company. We would regularly get complaints from customers that their packages were late. We finally had to put a disclaimer on our website, and inform people when they called to order that we could NOT guarantee the ship times. With any of the shipping methods. MAJOR PITA!

It might be better now. But service in all areas these days... sigh.

Keep in mind it was the Christmas season. I used to work in shipping at a small company. We would regularly get complaints from customers that their packages were late. We finally had to put a disclaimer on our website, and inform people when they called to order that we could NOT guarantee the ship times. With any of the shipping methods. MAJOR PITA!

It might be better now. But service in all areas these days... sigh.
One was a week before Christmas, the 6-dayer, so that's understandable, but not the other two. I was trying to find out if going by Greyhound bus might be a better idea. I mean, then we could pack the box into a padded duffle bag. I suppose we'd have to find one that went from point A to point B without 40 stops in between as all the starting/stopping would surely wreck the eggs.

A few weeks ago I had eggs shipped from NC to FL. Shipped 2/19 est arrival 2/22. They finally arrived 3/2 after a detour to Seattle WA and tracking could not say where else they were. USPS is a roll of the dice. You win some, you lose some.

When I used to order hatching eggs from Murray McMurray, they always came UPS. Live Fragile Eggs was put on the top outside of the box by Murray, they always arrived on time and in good shape.

The USPS has definitely changed the last few years. Hopefully time and reason will sort out the issues, but that doesn't help you now.

We sent some live fish Priority to a city two hours away from us (Orlando). They sent the package to Gainesville, then the next day all the way up to Jacksonville, then over to Tampa, then back to Gainesville, and finally to Orlando on the 4th day.

If you try another service, UPS seems to be more reliable then FedEx... we've had a lot of delayed or "could not be delivered because we can't find the place" packages with FedEx.

Can you ship them priority 2 day? That's how I ship pretty much everything. It's a little more expensive but that would probably be worth it to most people. I have never shipped eggs though.

Back
Top Bottom