Shocked I lost a chicken to cold.

We had -3 out here on the eastern plains near Greeley. Definitely not ready for these temps. We’re trying to get a new coop built but 4 days of snow, single digit temps and working extra hours on top of it all has certainly put a bind on things. We haven’t lost any birds yet, but I’m sure they were pretty PO’d this past week. The night we got below zero I did put a heat lamp up for them.

It does look like winter has arrived early to the High Plains and Rockies, and I’m REALLY not happy about it.

Can it be difficult to tell the difference between parasites and molt?
Not if you look closely at skin level for bugs and/or pin feathers.

My Bug check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Can it be difficult to tell the difference between parasites and molt?

I've been through parasites and molt (unfortunately). This instance was molt, but you are correct that it is a good idea to inspect birds for parasites any time there is a feather loss issue especially when combined with a drop in egg production. Parasites can certainly weaken a bird to a point where they are vulnerable to temperature swings as well as other illnesses. It's a drain on their system.

I've been through parasites and molt (unfortunately). This instance was molt, but you are correct that it is a good idea to inspect birds for parasites any time there is a feather loss issue especially when combined with a drop in egg production. Parasites can certainly weaken a bird to a point where they are vulnerable to temperature swings as well as other illnesses. It's a drain on their system.
These are things I have to learn about being new to all of this. So sad and sorry about your little buddy.

The European models are showing that North Central Texas COULD drop to -17° in the next 8 days...suddenly. Going 50+° to the negatives can't be good. I'm not sure how to make SURE everybody survives this drop. This is sounding like the 2021 Snowmaggeddon but we didn't have chickens then.

Back
Top Bottom