Shocked I lost a chicken to cold.

They showed negative. Hope they come up over the next 8 days! We can deal with 20°...possibly even 5° for a little bit. But not that!
My husband said it'll gradually get into the 20s but then we could get one night that drops below zero. He saw that map and said it has to be fake or false info.

They showed negative. Hope they come up over the next 8 days! We can deal with 20°...possibly even 5° for a little bit. But not that!
Mike Adams just explained the map he showed and he THOUGHT those were actual temps, but now he says that after some people posted back to him, that those are the relative temps. Like instead of -17°, it just means that it will be 17 below the NORMAL! WHEW!!!!

Still, it's gonna be colder than normal here. :p

I am just going to throw it out there. But really, a 4 year old bird is getting some age on her, and when mine get that age, I would not be surprised to find her gone. It might have just been her time, and not a lot to do with the cold.

I have one now that is just past 4. I hope she lives to spring, she has raised a lot of chicks for me, and she seems to be holding her own, but if I would find her gone in the morning, I would not be real surprised.

Mrs K

I feel the need to share because I am always telling other BYC members that chickens can do just fine in quite a harsh climate. Today I lost a chicken to cold. This would be the 4th winter this flock of chickens ha spent in the mountains of Colorado in their coop together. I feel we’ve gotten the routine down and I wasn’t even worried about them in this storm. They’ve been through many storms and cold spells worse than this that lasted for a longer number of days with no problem. I do not plan on sending the bird for necropsy, but I believe the below zero F temps combined with her bad state of molt was too much for her to handle. I guess my word of warning is just to look out for your special needs birds, the very young, the very old, the severe molt, those with parasites or weakened immune systems from previous illness, because weather extremes sometimes can push them over the edge. Also be wary of unseasonable weather, when there is a sudden and drastic temperature shift (hot or cold) it’s harder for them to acclimate. This weather is not typical for us this time of year. We have not yet finished our home/garden/coop winterization projects, yet we’ve had a few feet of snow and sub-zero temps already. Winter may be here to stay a month early.

I feel the need to share because I am always telling other BYC members that chickens can do just fine in quite a harsh climate. Today I lost a chicken to cold. This would be the 4th winter this flock of chickens ha spent in the mountains of Colorado in their coop together. I feel we’ve gotten the routine down and I wasn’t even worried about them in this storm. They’ve been through many storms and cold spells worse than this that lasted for a longer number of days with no problem. I do not plan on sending the bird for necropsy, but I believe the below zero F temps combined with her bad state of molt was too much for her to handle. I guess my word of warning is just to look out for your special needs birds, the very young, the very old, the severe molt, those with parasites or weakened immune systems from previous illness, because weather extremes sometimes can push them over the edge. Also be wary of unseasonable weather, when there is a sudden and drastic temperature shift (hot or cold) it’s harder for them to acclimate. This weather is not typical for us this time of year. We have not yet finished our home/garden/coop winterization projects, yet we’ve had a few feet of snow and sub-zero temps already. Winter may be here to stay a month early.
I'm really sorry. I lost 3 babies early on and I cried so hard. These are pets. A lot of ppl just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom