Should I assist? (Quail eggs)

Understood, thank you! I'm really nervous as this is my 1st successful hatch and 1st assisted hatch all in onešŸ˜“

I'll probably use some coconut oil, I'm pretty sure we have some laying around! How long should I expect for them to take to officially "hatch"? Egg#1 did bleed a little (maybe 1-2 drops tops) and I've heard that can cause them to delay hatching to regain their strength. šŸ˜„
I'm just concerned that if they don't begin to "hatch" when/if it would be a good time/idea to further intervene...
Finally, could I give them a little sugar water or poultry b12 mixed with water in a 1cc syringe? Or would they choke still being in the shell?
I haven't fed or have them water while they're still in egg. They should be ok for at least 24-48 hours once they hatch.

Go with your instincts, gauge chirping and movement. They do get tired when they're hatching, quiet stretches of time are perfectly ok.

I haven't fed or have them water while they're still in egg. They should be ok for at least 24-48 hours once they hatch.

Go with your instincts, gauge chirping and movement. They do get tired when they're hatching, quiet stretches of time are perfectly ok.
Will do. I just moistened them with the coconut oil. Fingers crossed that they'll make it! Thank you so much!

How are they doing?
Alright so far. Even with the coconut oil the membrane seemed pretty tough, so they couldn't get out. I peeled a little more and carefully tore away the area of membrane where there weren't any bloodveins. The baby pushed itself almost all the way out!

Alright so far. Even with the coconut oil the membrane seemed pretty tough, so they couldn't get out. I peeled a little more and carefully tore away the area of membrane where there weren't any bloodveins. The baby pushed itself almost all the way out!
Wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear that šŸ„¹

Here's baby #1! I'm still waiting for the other chick to finish absorbing the veining :)
20221223_191651.jpg
Screenshot_20221223-191628_Gallery.jpg

Baby #2 sadly didn't make it... She had almost absorbed her entire yolk, but there were still too many veins, so I left her be. Left for about an hour and found her gone. :'(
20221223_215949.jpg

Back
Top Bottom