Should I be concerned, post pip but pre-zip?

Butterprint

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Denver, CO
First time hatcher here with shipped eggs (odds stacked against me, I know) with 20 eggs that candled well (disposed of 8 that never developed). Today is day 21 and this morning we got our first pip! I was super excited.

A couple hours later the pip was ever so slightly larger, but no pieces of shell have fallen away, and the chick hasn't created a hole. Uh oh...has he ran out of air in there? Starting to get worried. No other eggs have pipped yet.

Thanks in advance.

No need to worry. It can take up to 24 hours for a chick to start zipping after pipping. And if the shell has been pipped, there is most certain a hole for air. It's normal for them to make the initial pip a bit bigger after they rest. Just be patient. The blood vessels don't begin to recede until the chick pips. And the yolk still needs to finish absorbing. That all takes time. Plus, the chick needs to rest after the effort that it takes to break through that shell.

Thanks! I thought all I needed was patience, but I came across another much older thread that talked about how if they don't make a hole but have pipped, that's a sign they're running out of air.

So much confusion. Everyone seems to say something different.

Back
Top Bottom