Should I bring in the unscheduled duck eggs?

HoldrenFarmgirl

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2017
Ohio
My cyuga duck (I know I misspelled ) hatched 8 babies but now is no longer sitting on her eggs. They are cold. I brought them in and candled. I only kept the viable eggs. Some are chirping but very cold. If I put them in the incubator will they be okay? This is the first time my duck has brooded. Ducklings have been hatching for 5 days due to her stealing eggs off other nest and all eggs diffrent ages. Is there anything I can do other than the incubator to assure they survive?

You're going to need to put them in the incubator if you want them to live and hatch. And then you'll need to brood the ducklings because mama duck probably won't want them.

Well I brought in most of the eggs. After candling I ended up getting rid of 4 because 2 were not fertilized and 2 were only about a week in. Last night 2 hatched , 1 a tad early I think because it still has part of the sack and she'll attached. Don't think this one will make it. The other is still hatching as I write this. The 4 left in the incubator are still warm but havent pecked yet. On a surprise note 2 of the eggs I left in the nest that she hasn't sat on in 2 days hatched out last night. (Crazy right) these eggs were ice cold yesterday I really didn't think I'd wake up to 2 more this morning. I'm learning that incubating and having the duck brooding eggs is 2 totally different endeavors! Plus had am even crazier thing happen yesterday. My older Muskovy hatched one of her babies yesterday in the hen house! The poor rooster must have gotten to close because she threw him across the pen! She's usually my most docile female! I only had her mate for 38 days so that was fast in my opinion! We're raining ducklings here!

They will be fine in the incubator....I had a power outage for 13 hours and all my eggs are thriving and due to hatch next week...

Best of luck and congrats on the new Ducklings.....
Thank you! This is my first year hatching babies! Last year my brood were to young I think. This year has been amazing!

UPDATE: This morning went out and had one more baby in the nest. Momma wouldn't go near it and the other babies were picking at it so I brought it in the house. Poor baby was cold and hungry. Guess this one will be inside with us for a few weeks. 2 inside the incubator hatched out last night. Others didn't make it. So now have 4 in the house. The one that was still stuck in its shell and yoke died yesterday afternoon. The one that was piping hatched which is how we ended up at 4. 3 are dark like their momma the Cayuga 1 is yellow hoping it's from my Mallard or the Ancona.

Back
Top Bottom