Should I buy this hen?

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
Somebody local (by local, I mean in the same state) has an Opal hen for sale.

For starters, they are asking $175 (surprising since they want $400 for a pair of whites). They don't have a cock to go with her and didn't say how old she is. Is that a fair price? And how can I tell that she is for sure an Opal?

For cocks, I have a black shoulder dark pied, his silver pied son, and a midnight black shoulder. Would it be worthwhile to add this hen? And if I did, which cock would be best? Due to the distance, it would take me almost 6 hours total for driving time, and a little over a tank of gas for my truck (so about $75 for gas).

Thoughts?

$175 seems high especially for this time of the year.Many hens was purchased at Mt Hope last March for $125 and was of breeding age.

Here is a pic of one of my 2 -2011 hatched Opal hens,the other is an Opal Pied but their color is a dull gray or dull silver color.Most of her was in the shade for this pic except for the end of her tail.Since you have a Midnight B/S I'd put him with her if you decide to buy but you can find hens cheeper next spring and not have a risk of losing her before breeding season,or feeding her for another 5 months or so before egg laying begins.

Last edited:
Frosty what do you have for hens? I have seen opal hens sell for $150 on online breeder websites and then add $130 to ship them. So basically it is up to you if you want to buy her but then you will need to invest in a male for her right or you just gonna breed to yours and see what hatches?
wink.png

Frosty what do you have for hens? I have seen opal hens sell for $150 on online breeder websites and then add $130 to ship them. So basically it is up to you if you want to buy her but then you will need to invest in a male for her right or you just gonna breed to yours and see what hatches?
wink.png
Breeding age hens that I have are a silver pied and a midnight. While the seller doesn't list ages, they do say that they are breeding age. The advantage to getting one now is that she wouldn't have to be shipped, which can be tricky trying to get timed right (due to temps on both ends of the trip) plus there would be plenty of time for quarantine and settle in time before laying season. She does seem expensive, though getting one shipped can be expensive too.
hmm.png

Please realize there are price differences at auctions opposed to from breeders. There is some risk at auctions and there may be a color type that is saturated for the auction driving down prices. $150 is not too unreasonable for a nice bird from a breeder. It costs about that much to feed them for 3 yrs. shipping is where it hurts in that it costs as much a bird does. Hens at last auction spoken about in thread were mostly blues at 100-125 with several 1 yr olds being sold as breeders so you had to sort them out. Several hens went 200 or more depending on color/pattern

I've never been to a poultry auction, but I have been to horse and livestock auctions just to watch, never to buy. The feeling that I got at theses auctions was that the animals being sold were lame, sick or culls... Are poultry auctions any different?

I've never been to a poultry auction, but I have been to horse and livestock auctions just to watch, never to buy. The feeling that I got at theses auctions was that the animals being sold were lame, sick or culls... Are poultry auctions any different?

I have always been afraid to of purchasing animals at auctions. I think like you do. I think their either sick or near death's bed. :oops:

You know what FROSTY -- I say go for it. Have them send you a picture of the bird you are talking about and if it is an adult and opal I say go for it. The silver pied son can be with her LOL. When I go to buy a bird I would always add what shipping would be to ship it even if I am going to pick it up. So $175 - I would buy it if I had her near me so why not tell you the same. Sometimes we need to spend a little on us for Christmas. Beside I think you will give it a better home then someone else would
wink.png

I have always been afraid to of purchasing animals at auctions. I think like you do. I think their either sick or near death's bed.
hide.gif
There are for sure examples of this at the auction, so don't let price mislead you. Many are culls or excess that someone has. Sometimes you can get some really nice birds but you need to visually inspect each one first. I have seen bidders run it up on a bird I wouldn't even let on my property by the looks of it, they just didn't look at it up close before bidding. Also many descriptions are wrong for the birds also, to either increase price or through ignorance. Experience and taking a good hard look are a must at the auctions. Also if you know the seller that is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom