Should I buy this hen?

At certain auctions, like Mt Hope they specify with each bird at time of auction if it is from an NPIP flock or not. You can then get the NPIP paperwork from the auction vet. These at times will bring a higher price point b/c of the NPIP value, but not dramatically so. Whenever purchasing from an auction get the health papers if available to you or they will supply them. Often it lists the previous owner info also.

The birds I got were from others who are NPIP. That's another reason I don't and can't get birds from other NON NPIP people.

Same here all my birds came from tested flocks even the saddest looking ones i got a while back.

But you still have to be carefull folks break the rules and buy untested birds and put them with their tested flocks, i watch for that and do not buy from them either.

How did the sad ones turn out to be?

The sad ones are all better and learning the ropes , funny thing is this round the older peas are giving the babies a hard time so i think i am going to have 2 separate flocks if they do not start hanging out together.

Minx fox,the auctions here are great ! Why? Because you can get great deals and find birds you might want without shipping fees and you might meet someone that may help you later on find that special bird or birds. That's enough for me right there.There wasnt much this last one Ill admit. Although my son did buy three adult male ringnecks for 2 bucks a piece. (We'll probably eat em) but not bad price huh. Also if you have to know who the seller is you can generally find out. If a seller is selling bad birds it gets known pretty quick anyhow. Yes I do quarentine for standard procedure. Some have sold for next to nothing while other times it freaked me out how high they can go in a bidding war. Its a crapshoot. Sure you gotta check em out good before you buy but for the most part they are healthy. Its mainly justexcess birds or people tire of them. I wish we had a monster one like the MT hope one frenchblackcopper. It must be unreal.
I guess I really need to go to one then. I do like meeting local bird breeders... Hmm so how do I find out about the dates for the auctions and which ones do you recomend? I told my dad I was interested in going to one a while ago and he told me a funny story of when he was a little boy and his dad took him to an animal auction and when my dad's father wasn't watching my dad almost won a bid for a horse he liked.
lol.png
I guess if anything you could see some interesting birds that you have never had the chance to get. Like maybe some crested firebacks or something cool.

Frosty- Borrow a car and go for it. I have bought birds as well as exotic pets at Mt. Hope. Didn't get there this year though. At an auction to a large extent its a crapshoot but if you get there early enough you can do a lot to even the odds. But you can also end up paying much more for a bird than you would have had to elsewhere. It all depends on the demand. Everyone should go at least once, there is nowhere else I can think of where you'll see that many peas in one place at one time.

Frosty isn't buying from an auction she is buying from a breeder in her state.
wink.png

Exactly, though I don't know if it's a breeder or just someone that has a few and is selling some off... If you look at the UPA directory, there are no breeders in our state. Taking a car is out of the question. Apart from the fact that I know how much they smell in a confined area (so DH wouldn't want that in his Monte Carlo), it's winter in ND. No way would I go that far without my 4WD.

Ohmygosh!!! I just looked and the ad changed!!!

I have 7 peafowl left. 3 males 4 females. Colors range from black shoulder, white, opal, and blues. All 3 years old and will lay in 2013. $75 each or $500 for the group. I am selling because I have to many birds for the family to take care of now that I am in college. These are adult birds and I will accept any offers. I also have a royal palm hen that raised 13 chicks this spring, great mother and highly fertile. 50 obo. Call for more info! Thanks!

I need to get with DH ASAP and make sure he's ok with it... sent the seller a message to say that I am interested in the opal and the whites, just need to figure if I can schedule a pick up (I work nights and my only days off are Tue and Wed). Stupid snow needs to quit falling!

If they were asking 175 for the opal hen and now they will take 500 or bo i would buy the entire lot and sell off the ones i do not want in the spring as breeders, you will end up getting some of the birds for free if you work it right. just sayen
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom