Should I cull my chicken

Should I cull her

• Total voters

fivechicks715

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
North Carolina
She is 2 years old, my favorite girl. Here’s a little backstory:

I had 6 chickens, then two months ago one of my silkies wasn’t coming out of the run, but was still walking and eating, then I found her dead one day leaned over as if she died in her sleep. Then a month or so after that my buff Orpington was not walking so I treated her for egg bound but to no avail, took her to vet, and she said she had some respiratory thing and gave me meds to give her for 2 weeks, well it’s been a month now and she sits all day long, but she will get up for food but then sit back down. She has lost a lot of weight and because of this she cannot walk due to weakness. Other than not walking she seems happy however what life is that? I don’t want to go back to the vet because we don’t want to pay for the huge bill that will accrue, and it costs $100 for euthanasia. I am worried that she may be spreading something because last week another silkie died and it was sitting next to her. What would you do?

She is 2 years old, my favorite girl. Here’s a little backstory:

I had 6 chickens, then two months ago one of my silkies wasn’t coming out of the run, but was still walking and eating, then I found her dead one day leaned over as if she died in her sleep. Then a month or so after that my buff Orpington was not walking so I treated her for egg bound but to no avail, took her to vet, and she said she had some respiratory thing and gave me meds to give her for 2 weeks, well it’s been a month now and she sits all day long, but she will get up for food but then sit back down. She has lost a lot of weight and because of this she cannot walk due to weakness. Other than not walking she seems happy however what life is that? I don’t want to go back to the vet because we don’t want to pay for the huge bill that will accrue, and it costs $100 for euthanasia. I am worried that she may be spreading something because last week another silkie died and it was sitting next to her. What would you do?
I am sorry that your birds are sick and dying. I would send one in for necropsy to know exactly what is wrong and how to deal with it.

I think I would like to know some basic information like.
what are you feeding?
Do you offer oyster shell and grit?
Are your chickens free range or confined?
How old are they have you checked closely for lice and mites?
It's rare that an established older flock that has no contact with other flocks suddenly come up with something comunicable.
Sorry about your sick girl and the two silkies.

I think I would like to know some basic information like.
what are you feeding?
Do you offer oyster shell and grit?
Are your chickens free range or confined?
How old are they have you checked closely for lice and mites?
It's rare that an established older flock that has no contact with other flocks suddenly come up with something comunicable.
Sorry about your sick girl and the two silkies.
Thank you, they have a run but I let them free range during the day. The silkies were added this time last year from a farm, I noticed they had mites and treated them, I also noticed one had bubbles in her eyes but it went away. None of the others have that symptom. They do not have mites or lice I checked. They do not have grit or oyster because they have calcium deposits on their eggs and I let them free range and feel they get the grit they need from that.

Back
Top Bottom