should i let my chickens sleep on top of their coop?

Also - Put them in after dark. If they can't see, they'll stay put. They need to be in an enclosed area at night to be safe from predators. Close off the opening where the ramp is at night.
i don’t know how i’ll close off the opening but i can close the down to the ground part of their coop to keep them from going into the run

Those prefab coops really aren't ideal. Honestly you'd be better off scrapping it and building a new one. For now I would definitely close the door to the wire part of the coop when it gets dark so they don't have access to the run (and the top of the coop) overnight.

Maybe you could tear out the floor of the coop and one od the walls and put solid walls up over the wire part of the prefab coop?

Couple different things:

First, an example of how to raise the roost in a prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535

Second, there's next to no ventilation in there. If you're in a hotter climate (you don't specify) I can imagine the chickens don't want to stay inside because it's stuffy and hot.

Third, this could possibly address both of the above - convert the coop and mini run into a larger coop.
To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Those prefab coops really aren't ideal. Honestly you'd be better off scrapping it and building a new one. For now I would definitely close the door to the wire part of the coop when it gets dark so they don't have access to the run (and the top of the coop) overnight.

Maybe you could tear out the floor of the coop and one od the walls and put solid walls up over the wire part of the prefab coop?
i just closed them in tonight and they were okay. i been thinking about getting a new one and attaching it to the outside of the run and making a hole in the wire so they could come out and play

Couple different things:

First, an example of how to raise the roost in a prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535

Second, there's next to no ventilation in there. If you're in a hotter climate (you don't specify) I can imagine the chickens don't want to stay inside because it's stuffy and hot.

Third, this could possibly address both of the above - convert the coop and mini run into a larger coop.
To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
it’s all kind of overwhelming and it’s just me taking care of them so i don’t know how to do any of that. i’m kind of inexperienced when it comes to building. i think i’ll have to get a new one:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom