Should I raise chicks alone to make them more friendly?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I just hatched out 6 chicks D'uccles for the first time after always ordering shipped chicks and I was wondering if it would be cruel to raise them alone or in groups of 2 in separate brooders? My goal is to have the chicks to be super friendly towards the family and become like my MF D'uccle personality-wise that passed away unexpectedly.

I had a few experiences raising lone chicks, though not on purpose at the time as their mates died from various reasons. I had a MF D'uccle that was raised alone and she was by far the most friendliest/tamest chick I ever had, but sadly died after 2 months. On the other side of the coin, I raised a Black Jersey Giant alone and she was super friendly as a chick, but once she was close laying she became the most aggressive and kept biting us pulling skin and blood. Another chick who was a Salmon Faverolle was rambunctious as a chick, but friendly and was raised mostly alone the first 2 months. As a hen she kept all her personality traits as a chick, which was great!

Chicks that I raise with other chicks tend to stay flighty. After a few days they become increasingly distant from me even after handling them as often as I can and attempting to hand feed them. Very few of these chicks remained friendly despite its mates being flighty. At the end of the day I know its based on the individual chick's personality, but I would like another instance of the MF D'uccle I had before, so I'm doing whatever I can to get something remotely similar to my MF D'uccle that passed.

I’ve never tried raising them alone and personally would not. I think it’s generally against chicken nature to be super cuddly. Of course you don’t want your chickens to attack you. My chickens come to me when I let them out especially if they think im bearing snacks. I have a dog for a snuggly companion. That’s just my 2 cents.

It's impossible to make a group of chicks pet friendly. Because there constantly learning from each other since they spend there chick life with each other.

You would need to separate them and focus your efforts on each individual chick. That would be an extensive effort on your part. Easier to just focus on one chick.

I've had chicks from hatcheries and chicks brooded and raised by hens. All were Rock type birds and were people friendly and sociable. Some breeds are flighty and nervous and may just tolerate us, others are calm and mingle easily with us, just like every other species of animal. I will say that I am of the mind set chickens are utility, although I enjoy their antics. I'm not looking to be their best friend.

I'd keep them all together. I'd just take them out individually or in pairs for some bonding time every day. That's what we've been doing with our current flock and it's been working nicely.

With our current flock, out of 4 girls, 3 are turning out to be actively friendly. 1 is a little more reserved, but she's not scared of us.

With our old flock, we barely socialized them as chicks. Out of 4 girls, we had 1 that was actively friendly, 1 reserved, 1 flighty, and 1 aggressive.

All that said, chickens are individuals. How you raise them definitely makes a difference, but it isn't the only factor determining how they turn out. You're working with a combination of nature and nurture.

Last edited:
I never raise my chicks to be super friendly by holding them etc. I just feed them out of my hand when they are pullets and they always turn out very friendly. My kid can pick all of them up. I think it depends on breed and individual personality. Raising them alone is against their nature and I don't think worth the effort.

I don't think 'bonding time' will help them be friendly, let the see you come and go and don't try to pick them up.
Last year, I had two batches of chicks, first batch was during long hours so they got minimal attention but had their crate where they could watch me. They'll sunbathe on my lap. Second batch had daily attention and still act like I'm going to rip off their heads.
Getting too attached to chickens can often back fire since they're on everyone's menu, losses happen.

Back
Top Bottom