Should poultry be raised in cities, county communities or near any of these?

Four hens don't cause a problem by themselves. The problem is they're not alone. The state and local governments gotta look at the big potential development.

Four hens don't cause a problem by themselves. The problem is they're not alone. The state and local governments gotta look at the big potential development.

I'm curious as to how you foresee 4 hens in most folks backyards worse than dogs/cats/stray animal issues (eg, rabbits, coyotes, other birds)? Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

I'm curious as to how you foresee 4 hens in most folks backyards worse than dogs/cats/stray animal issues (eg, rabbits, coyotes, other birds)? Or maybe I am misunderstandi

I'm curious as to how you foresee 4 hens in most folks backyards worse than dogs/cats/stray animal issues (eg, rabbits, coyotes, other birds)? Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?
My wife and I for awhile used to go around and gather up unwanted chickens to butcher and eat. But porcupine is really good. Have no desire to gather up peoples unwanted dogs and cats to eat. Notice my wording unwanted. Alot of people start a chicken venture only to find out it's not for them.

I agree with @BerthaBoo. While some people can be part of the issues you state, a lot aren’t and clean up and keep backyard chickens responsibly.

I feel like maybe your feelings on these issues are (or should be) aimed more at people who aren’t responsible pet owners in general, not all backyard poultry keepers.

I agree with @BerthaBoo. While some people can be part of the issues you state, a lot aren’t and clean up and keep backyard chickens responsibly.

I feel like maybe your feelings on these issues are (or should be) aimed more at people who aren’t responsible pet owners in general, not all backyard poultry keepers.
There's a proper place for everything. In housing areas is just not the place. Everyone here knows I'm right but just want to live in denial and be left alone even though there is a much bigger picture.

I'm am noticing that people are trying really hard to confuse the chicken issue by adding other pets. I'm trying really hard to not acknowledge other pets. Thats really a whole different matter. Laws are totally different. There just really no way to justify wants over needs when it comes to chickens.

There's a proper place for everything. In housing areas is just not the place. Everyone here knows I'm right but just want to live in denial and be left alone even though there is a much bigger picture.
I think the opposite, actually. I would encourage everyone to be a little more self sufficient and have a few backyard chickens. They help mitigate food waste, give you fertilizer for growing your own food, control pests, including mice and bugs, and give you your own excellent source of protein (x2 if you harvest them and they aren’t just for eggs). And again, bc I’m an animal lover, I have to say, I love hearing of people not supporting the battery hen egg industry and horrible commercial farming conditions chickens can be subject to.

I'm am noticing that people are trying really hard to confuse the chicken issue by adding other pets. I'm trying really hard to not acknowledge other pets. Thats really a whole different matter. Laws are totally different. There just really no way to justify wants over needs when it comes to chickens.
I think all anyone is bringing other animals into this for is to make a point that other animals are also capable of producing more or equal amounts of stink and waste. It’s the owners, not the animals themselves that are the issue.

I think the opposite, actually. I would encourage everyone to be a little more self sufficient and have a few backyard chickens. They help mitigate food waste, give you fertilizer for growing your own food, control pests, including mice and bugs, and give you your own excellent source of protein (x2 if you harvest them and they aren’t just for eggs). And again, bc I’m an animal lover, I have to say, I love hearing of people not supporting the battery hen egg industry and horrible commercial farming conditions chickens can be subject to.

I think all anyone is bringing other animals into this for is to make a point that other animals are also capable of producing more or equal amounts of stink and waste. It’s the owners, not the animals themselves that are the issue.
I wish people would try to understand the need of commercial farms. The chickens that are raised there are specifically bred to be in those conditions. Then after a couple years they become fastfood, soups and processed meats. It's what keeps the world fed.
As for the owners of chickens alot can't bring themselves to eat it especially if the chicken has a name. Udder nonsense, honor the chicken by talking about the bird while you eat it. It's a spiritual thing.

I wish people would try to understand the need of commercial farms. The chickens that are raised there are specifically bred to be in those conditions. Then after a couple years they become fastfood, soups and processed meats. It's what keeps the world fed.
As for the owners of chickens alot can't bring themselves to eat it especially if the chicken has a name. Udder nonsense, honor the chicken by talking about the bird while you eat it. It's a spiritual thing.
I’m not in disagreement with you about the need for commercial farms, but why can’t I want there to be a middle ground where life can be a little bit better for commercial animals? The conditions these animals are kept in are often conducive to sickness and major waste issues.

Look, I get the spiritual aspect you speak of. I’m a hunter, my freezer is full of meat I’ve gone out and harvested myself year after year. I know the value in an ethically raised animal being used for food. I pray over and thank the animal every time I eat. If I don’t want to eat my pet chickens and do want to name them and they bring me joy what is it hurting? With that being said I will not pass judgement on anyone who does eat their chickens; there’s nothing wrong with ethically raising your own food, either, named or not!

I guess I’m rambling now…all I’m saying is that I know how things work, I’m not saying commercial animal farming isn’t necessary, but you can’t throw ethics out the window, either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom