Show me your coop exterior landscaping over HWC

Witchychickens

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Central MA
Show me all your hard work! I’m trying to cover the HWC without rocks so something can dig and figure out they can’t get in.

So far I’ve covered with topsoil and added some pine mulch. I think I’m going to make exterior skirts with pressed decorative tin. The area doesn’t get much sun and grass didn’t grow there. Not sure what else I can do but I’d like to see yours!

Show me all your hard work! I’m trying to cover the HWC without rocks so something can dig and figure out they can’t get in.

So far I’ve covered with topsoil and added some pine mulch. I think I’m going to make exterior skirts with pressed decorative tin. The area doesn’t get much sun and grass didn’t grow there. Not sure what else I can do but I’d like to see yours!
I'm confused are the anti-dig skirts/aprons made from HC or this decorative tin?

I do nothing but bury the HC apron with 22A rock. Suppresses the weeds, good drainage from shed roof water and the chickens can’t effectively dig in it beyond the surface. pic: Large rock marks the corner and you can see the perimeter line demarcating the change in material.
I’m in the woods.
IMG_3341.jpeg

I'm confused are the anti-dig skirts/aprons made from HC or this decorative tin?
They’re hardware cloth, attached to my run and coop at the base and skirted outwards. They are buried. The tin goes over at the base of the coop and run to the ground for vanity (and I suppose also extra protection)

The tin goes over at the base of the coop and run to the ground for vanity (and I suppose also extra protection)
Ah, Yes....maybe more protection.
Might help keep bedding from being kicked out of the run.
Got pics of this stuff?
I like pressed tin.

Last edited:
Ah, Yes....maybe more protection.
Might help keep bedding from being kicked out of the run.
Got pics of this stuff?
I like pressed tin.
My husband grabbed the wrong thing at Home Depot today. I was also thinking it would shield the run from rain coming in a bit more, too. I have one side that gets damp (not soaked or pooling but damp) because the shed next to it needs a gutter (rain collection will great here for the garden) I’m going to exchange it tomorrow for the right thing. But I’ll show you what I’m thinking. We originally got some from Restore for my garden shed (which is next to the coop).

We FINALLY finished all the hardware cloth today. Eaves, window, skirts. My legs and hands are a mess. 😩😂

My husband wants me to decide if I want him to trim the skirts in white composite or if I want to do the tin. I have until tomorrow to decide.

Attachments

• D562EBEC-3013-4424-94C0-D079E4AAF137.png
    D562EBEC-3013-4424-94C0-D079E4AAF137.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
My husband grabbed the wrong thing at Home Depot today. I was also thinking it would shield the run from rain coming in a bit more, too. I have one side that gets damp (not soaked or pooling but damp) because the shed next to it needs a gutter (rain collection will great here for the garden) I’m going to exchange it tomorrow for the right thing. But I’ll show you what I’m thinking. We originally got some from Restore for my garden shed (which is next to the coop).

We FINALLY finished all the hardware cloth today. Eaves, window, skirts. My legs and hands are a mess. 😩😂

My husband wants me to decide if I want him to trim the skirts in white composite or if I want to do the tin. I have until tomorrow to decide.
Do you have water running along the ground into the run....
.....or?
My run has no roof at all, and it's fine. I did have to redirect some runoff tho.
Not sure that tin will hold up for long.

Back
Top Bottom