Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I do that as well. Two waterers in different locations in the brooder.

After the first couple of days, and I am certain that the chicks know where to get their water, I will start putting it on small pieces of wood just enough to get it up and off the litter and keep it a bit more cleaner. As the chicks grow, I put the waterers on higher blocks. By the end of 8 weeks, I usually have the waterer sitting on a piece of 2X6 laid flat.

I have no experience with brooder plates. My chicks always seem to find the heat under the heat lamps. That's about the extent of what I know.

We have all heard about fires caused by heat lamps falling into the litter. Those are real horror stories, to be sure. But there are many stories about these newer plates and heating tents that fail and chicks dying from the cold before you know about the malfunction.

It takes me no time to ensure that my heat lamps are working, and I can see the status of all the chicks in the brooder under the lights. There is nothing obstructing my view of the chicks.

:old I am not saying the heat lamp is the best system, but it is what I have used for over 30+ years and it works for me.
I did a ton of research before making any decision. Researching heat lamps vs. brooder plates, researching the different brands and models of brooder plates, etc. I'm also able to check on the chicks a lot throughout the day, and I always double check the brooder plate.
Each option has its own risks and rewards, and my research and situation pointed me to the brooder plate.

Each option has its own risks and rewards, and my research and situation pointed me to the brooder plate.

:old I am just stuck on my old methods, and I am not saying it's the best system, either. If I was just starting out, I probably would have chosen something else for my brooder setup today. None of those brooder plate or brooding tent options existed when I started with chicks 30+ years ago. At least, not that I was aware of.

I have mini water founts with mason jars which I use for chicks. They do indeed make a mess with the water. I clean it out once or twice a day as needed. I don't know of any shortcuts with keeping clean water in the coop.

Here is a picture close to what I have, except my founts are plastic...

View attachment 3812835

:idunno I am still using the same chick brooder equipment I purchased 30+ years ago. It still works...
Do you ever use something like wax on the threads? Mine sticks, always has, though I bought it last year.

:old I am just stuck on my old methods, and I am not saying it's the best system, either. If I was just starting out, I probably would have chosen something else for my brooder setup today. None of those brooder plate or brooding tent options existed when I started with chicks 30+ years ago. At least, not that I was aware of.
I tried the MHP last year, worked very well for my two broods.
IMG_20230312_133428512.jpg

We each should use what works for us.

I used a heat lamp for the first few batches of chicks I raised. Worked great for a lot of babies.

Then I bought 4 Marans. They decided to feather pick. I had a time with those. Finally resolved when I could turned off the light.

Before I raised any more chicks I bought a heat plate. I also got the thermostat controller so i can adjust the temperture. Love it! They get used to day/night cycles very young.

I'm getting ready to go out and upgrade my chicken coop. The "door" on the coop that opens up to the day run is screwed into place. I have to go into the run and remove four screws to take it off in the morning, and in the evening I put the piece of plywood back in place, driving a screw into each corner. It's getting to be a pain.

Today I'm going to make/install a sliding door, attached to a rope outside of the run that I'll use for opening/closing. It will make life a little easier for me, and maybe better for the chickens too.

All materials (except screws) are free scavenged stuff. I may or may not use pallet wood, just depends on how my mental plan progresses. I'll post an update later.

Today I'm going to make/install a sliding door, attached to a rope outside of the run that I'll use for opening/closing. It will make life a little easier for me, and maybe better for the chickens too.

I have a similar setup but my sliding door and the rope are all inside my coop. I normally get lots of snow here in northern Minnesota and I knew that I would be better off with the sliding door inside the coop, as well as the rope system because I did not want to have to deal with a frozen rope and stuck pop door on the outside.

I designed my coop to have the big doors in the back. I have to open them to access the food and water the the pop door rope - which are all inside the coop. I don't actually have to go into the coop to service the daily food and water, and the rope is right at the inside door opening.

My sliding pop door has only frozen shut a few times over four winters, even though it is inside the coop, but I can only imagine how much it would freeze if the sliding door was on the outside.

But I can understand what a pain it would be to have to screw on/off the pop door each time. Is there some reason you did not put the door on a simple hinge and then use a hook and eye to hold it in the open position?

Back
Top Bottom