Show me your rabbit cages & I'll show you mine!

Honestly buy them used. I got 7 of these cages plus a double AND all the feeders and glass waterers for 100 bucks off Craigslist... (I built the stands)
thumbsup.gif
The only thing I would change is I wish they were bigger as my rabbits are huge! I saw those ones you posted and they are 24 x 24... you wont be happy they are too small... mine are 30 x 30 and I wish they were 36 x 36.

61023_img_1377-1.jpg

61023_img_1366-1.jpg

Last edited:
Craigslist is the way to go, we got a big outdoor cage on legs (sorry, too snowy to get a photo right now), but it is at least five feet long, by 30 inches deep I would guess, with a covered sleeping area, and wire run. We paid $60, it was homemade and solid as a rock. I have three rabbits and it's ample room for them. I've winterized it some more, and my chickens love to go under it for bugs and leftover food that drops down. It stand about four and a half feet high, so no bending either!

I waited to get rabbits until I had the cages, but seeing how your already getting yours.... hmm.. have you tried this place...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...house-trade-rabbit-cage-30-in-x36-in--2179677

Also, even if they are small buns I would get them the biggest cages you can, you'll be glad of it later.

Besides Craigslist, the best thing to do is to make them yourself, much cheaper than buying them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I was thinking of stopping by on my way home from work tomorrow and seeing if they had them in.

Is your bunny going to be kept indoors our outdoors? We just got our first bunny last week (7 week old mini rex) and I love the cage we bought - but the cage is only good for indoor use.

This cage basically potty trains your bunny. We had put ours in a homemade cage while waiting for the new one to arrive. The bunny pooped all over the bottom of the cage, despite our frequently moving his poop to the corner. He was put into his new cage 2 days ago and has never pooped on the top level - he jumps down and does all his pooping on the middle level where he is supposed to. The very lowest level, which will eventually be his permanent sleeping quarters, has been blocked off for a couple of weeks, due to the company's recommendation - blocked off while he learns where to poop. Right now, he sleeps on his mat on the upper level - I'll post pics later.

This is the cage we bought with 8 week old mini rex, Riley, in it. The area below (all black) will be his sleeping quarters - ventilated and peep holes, but mostly private - it can also be closed off when needed:
017-2.jpg

Riley is now in the potty area - I pulled the tray out for illustration - the grid lifts off and you can then dump the litter/poop:

016-1.jpg

View from above - we folded his mat in two and he sleeps on it - later, we'll put his mat below in his sleeping area, so he'll have twice as much space as he does now.

018-2.jpg

The cage only measures 24" x 29", but is very roomy for small bunnies because of the different levels. I think this cage is perfect for a small bunny, but I think it would be to small for a large rabbit - not enough room to move around.

I hated the price, but loved the cage. The bunny was a Christmas present for our daughter, so we ended up opting out of the free cage and splurging on a new one as part of her Christmas gift. I paid $96 with free shipping right before Christmas.
http://www.amazon.com/Iris-RP-750-P...T8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1293388223&sr=8-11
I paid $96, but just noticed it is on ebay for $89. You can google for "Iris RP-750 Rabbit cage and see if you can find it any cheaper now that Christmas is over"

But..... if the cage is out of your budget, I'd agree with the others and keep looking on craigslist.
That's where I would have purchased my cage, if I hadn't discovered the specific one I wanted. Bunnies will also drink out of bowls (make sure it is not tippable - one from the pet store would probably be best) - you can keep yours temporarily housed in something else while waiting for a good deal to come up.

If you have any wire dog kennels around you can make a temporary cage out of one of those. We had a top to an old guinea pig cage, but not the bottom -- this is what my husband did with it, some wood, and the tray of a dog cage:
019-2.jpg

It doesn't have a pull out tray, but he fashioned it so that the top could be lifted off of the bottom - the wood pieces are connected together and also lift out:
020-3.jpg

Are you getting them as pets? Why not get the biggest thing you can 'afford'?

generally rabbits need to be able to stretch out, lay down, and stand on their hind legs with-out

their heads touching the top. your rabbits are going to be unhappy & stressed in a tiny cage.

My papa built a small chicken coop-ish type cage and was going to get chickens, he decided he didn't want them

after a while and gave us the cage. Now we use it for our 1 1/2 year old lop bunny.
smile.png

I'm NOT trying to tell you to spend a bucket load of money on a cage, I'm just saying if your

going to get rabbits, cages come FIRST. Look on craigslist, or ebay's classifieds. Or even

in the paper.
tongue.png
good luck!

My cages are mostly made from storage grids which are referred to as C&C (cubes and coroplast) cages on the guinea pig forum and NIC cages on the rabbit forums. They've also been called lego cages by a few of us because you can mix and match and build cages just like playing with legos as kids. I think I redid my guinea pig cage designs every 6 months.

The indoor cage has a 6x3' plywood bottom painted in marine polyurethane which makes it clean and act like plastic but is sturdier and longer lasting than the coroplast/corugated plastic used as the bottom of guinea pig cages.
cage.jpg

The picture is the original version made of only grids with 2 doors that swing out. The new version has had the door replaced by 2, 2x4' wire shelving panels connected to each other so the door folds and lifts upward. It sits more evenly, is sturdier, and dog resistent than the swing out doors made of several grids. Also takes a lot less zip ties going everywhere so it looks cleaner.

The outdoor cages are 2x4' with the bottom covered in 1/2x1" wire. They are similar design with grids down the back, sides, top, and bottom with shelving panels that swing up spanning each level as the door. The center dividers are removable and we've since made the floors rest on metal L supports so the whole floor can be lifted out for cleaning without having to haul the cage system outside. We give 2x2' minimum for the mini rex and take the divider out to make 2x4' for the d'argent does which are about twice as big.
SANY2270.jpg

This is not the cheapest way to make cages but I've been reusing some of those storage grids for years. So long as you don't scrape them up or let the silver ones sit in wet ground too much they last forever. I've built guinea pig cages, chicken pens, quail growout cages, and now rabbit cages out of the same grids for the past 10 years. I think I counted that I had acquired 100 of them before I moved from the apartment with the guinea pigs to this house and land where I could keep more animals especially outdoor ones. If you want cheaper but probably not as long lasting or able to hold as much weight check out http://www.klubertanz.com/Catalog.htm stacked cage systems or cage building materials.

Back
Top Bottom