Show off your house ducks!

Please let me know if i should post to a new thread or run this here...

"Solo" is our single hatchling courtesy of a brooder chicken we have. We are on the fence about whether to try eventually to integrate it into the flock or to make it a house pet. I have read that it is unwise to house a single duck because they are flock animals, that two is the minimum and a single would suffer.

True/False or...? Thanks!

Please let me know if i should post to a new thread or run this here...

"Solo" is our single hatchling courtesy of a brooder chicken we have. We are on the fence about whether to try eventually to integrate it into the flock or to make it a house pet. I have read that it is unwise to house a single duck because they are flock animals, that two is the minimum and a single would suffer.

True/False or...? Thanks!

Well...true AND false. Ducks that bond strongly to their humans can do just fine alone, but it requires you to be around them 24/7 lest they get quite upset and stressed. So if you're a retiree or work from home, that's ideal. But otherwise yes, it's good to get a second duck. Some house duck owners here have birds that do fine mingling with a chicken or a dog, but you shouldn't count on it since they won't always bond with another mammal.

That's Dandy River pulling my sheets,
lol.png
I'm keeping her definitely babes! Dahlia is still at the house too, she's soooo tiny compared to Dandy. She may have a new home soon but until then she's very spoiled. I'm hoping I can hatch some serama by next month so Dandy has a friend or two.
smile.png

Dandy sits like a good baby all night in her open bin until the alarm on my phone goes off, then she thinks it's okay to Godzilla stomp her way out & flop over the side because FOOOOOD.
It is funny because she can get out any time, the darn bin is even getting small for the fat muscovy baby butt.
The roommate calls her "Baby Huey"

I just don't see why you can't keep both, is all ._. 'Cuz like I said above, it's not a guarantee lil' Dandy will bond with your chikkinz.

Also, something dreadful happened last night - Wobbles accidentally spent ALL NIGHT with his diaper on! His last change was at 7:00 PM so that means he went 12 hours...oh dear. Hils was supposed to remove it, I got Bean this time and he was s'posed to get Wobbles!
rant.gif

At least it did give me some confidence about letting them sleep on the bed. His diaper was very full, but it didn't spill. Judging by the amount of poop left in their bins each morning, I think tonight I'll take the plunge, change them at bedtime and let them snuggle up with me tonight!

One of mine hatched 3 days vbefore the other 2 and criedtthe most pitiful cry whenever left alone. My husband had to put her in a box and carry her around all the time so she could see him. Even now all 3 are happiest in our ccompany

One of mine hatched 3 days vbefore the other 2 and criedtthe most pitiful cry whenever left alone. My husband had to put her in a box and carry her around all the time so she could see him. Even now all 3 are happiest in our ccompany

Oh, that's heartbreaking, but also really, really cute. We tried to make both our ducklings pouch-tolerant, but no dice. :p I'd love to be able to carry my lil' birbs in my sweatshirt hood or something!

Back
Top Bottom